Richard, Technician
Experience:  Avid TV Technician
32989067

The sound of my large screen rca tv is not on at all today.

Customer Question

The sound of my large screen rca tv is not on at all today. It's been a problem where I have to turn the tv on and off 100 times approximately to hear the sound. Some days like today it doesn't come on at all. I changed the hdmi cable already
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And have you done any troubleshooting yourself?
Customer: I have been trying to hear the sound for the past 15 minutes already with no sound. The sound is set on standard which is half the volume bar from the tv remote
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Yes the model is a 52" LED LCD no. LED52B45RQ
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: What do you mean by having problem on all sources/ inputs. Once I press them they come on
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: This problem has been ongoing for the past 2 months but it has gotten worse where the sound will not come up at all. All the pictures are on
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi there and welcome

What are you receiving the signal from on the TV? A Cable box, Satellite? Antenna?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a cable box from verizon
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Thank you

Can you please remove the power to the TV (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then on the actual TV, hold the power button for 60 seconds then release.

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the TV, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
if I switch to the talk conversation will i get charged $26 in addition to the previous charge
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

yes it is an additional charge and optional else we just continue here with you doing the instructions I just gave you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, I just finish the first procedure, not i am waiting for 10 minutes for the second step. Did you get all the information I gave the first assistant?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

yes, thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I followed the second step, the sound did not come on.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Thanks

If you play a DVD or try to get sound from another device on the TV, does that play sound?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How would I do that?
I only have my lap top that I could try to hook to the TV now.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Do you have any other devices? A DVD player, a laptop wont work, but a DVD playrer or Bluray would

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I don't have a DVD player. I have A tablet.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

ok, we test another way, first, when you increase the volume via the verizon box, do you see the volume indicator increase on the screen?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the volume indicator increases as I keep pressing the + sign to increase it with no sound
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Thanks

Remove the power to the verizon box, wait 5 minutes, connect it and tell me if you then get sound please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had sound this morning after I turned the TV on and off for 45 minutes. Once I turned it off to do the trouble shout with you, there is no sound which has been the problem.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, I just removed the power from the verizon box, the TV screen is now blue with the no signal sign and i am waiting for 5 minutes
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, I just finished following your instruction, the sound is still not on
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Thanks

It is the internal sound card that has faulted in the TV, this confirms it. Everything else is now ruled out

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the TV to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you still with me?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

yes, I replied to you a few minutes ago, you may have missed it.

I will repeat.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The TV was given to my by my boy friend who is away now and I dont have his contact. I don't know where the TV was purchased. So How will I handle that? How I check the manufacture warranty?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will a sound bar solve the sound problem at this time?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Yes, a Soundbar would work for you, else you would need to find from him where it was purchased from as the reseller does the warranty for you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there a phone number that I can call the manufacturer? The TV was purchased out of state
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

You can call them on(###) ###-####and via the serial number you can check if the warranty is valid for you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Since my problem did not get fixed, when will i see my refund on the card?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

ok.. it is for my service you are paying for.. which is my livliehood, not everything can be fixed and in your circumstance you need to have the sound card replaced, this I confirmed after doing all the work.

If you do not wish to pay me for the work done then you will need to go here for a refund

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund-0

Which ensures I get nothing for the service done