TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a Sony Bravia KDL 37EX723 TV. When I insert a USB

stick containg .JPG photos and...
I have a Sony Bravia KDL 37EX723 TV. When I insert a USB stick containg .JPG photos and go to the PHOTO menu it shows the file name and thumbnails of the photos but when I click on any given photo I get the message "playback not available". Any advice please.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Sony? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: What more identification is required? It is probably 4 or 5 yrears old.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Yes the menu appears to work, but does not offer all the options mention in the manual. All other inputs (DVD and VHS players and cable TV) on AV1 and HMDI inputs work OK. My son in laws USB stick also shows photos OK.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Paul' s USB worked ten days ago, but mine (I have tried more than one) did not work immediately afterwards.
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Paul suggest that the problem may be due to the fact that my photos have been processed with Lightroom or PaintShopPro whilst his have not. I have tried stipping out the EXIF datas but then the TV does not even shoe the thumbnails.
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/21/2017
Richard, Technician

Hi there and welcome

Can you use my link below

https://image.online-convert.com/convert-to-png

Convert one of the JPG files to a PNG, copy just that one to the USB stick and connect it.

Tell me if that one opens please on the TV

I eventually gat a .png file onto the USB stick. The TV sees the foilder that it is in but says "there are not items to dislplay.
NO the cost is mounting up for a simple enquiry. Can you suggest a solution or cancel the charges.

The TV is compatable with the PNG file so it should have opened.

You still see it on the computer when you connect the USB stick to the computer?

Is it the only file on the USB stick?

NO, there is a folder with 30 .jpg files, and a folder with two .png files.

Ok, you may have missed that in my initial instructions but I want you to only put the PNG file on the stick please, nothing else but the one image we converted

OK that will take a minute

thank you

It says "there are no items to display"
On the PC the USB shows one .png file which opens normally

delete it, download and copy this picture to it

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0w4epfxkaqbt1zs/sample_7.png?dl=0

Then try to display it on the TV

Does it show?

I tried it on the TV, as I said it shows "there are no items to display"

can you do my last instructions please

THe baloon image downloaded onto the USB. It is the only image on the stick and it displayed OK on the PC. On the TV I still get the message "there are no items to display"

How big is the Stick in GB?

1Gb. I had the same result when I tried the original images on a 8Gb stick.

connect it to the computer, then right click it in windows file manager and choose format.

Once formatted put the picture I gave back on and try to display it on the TV please

I have already done that. I formatted the stick (FAT32) before downloading the .png image.

make it NTFS please by default it does this, but make sure thats selected in the file type

Done that, picture is OK on PC, TV now does not even show the presence of any USB. However it looks as if I may be able to see pictures full screen via the network connection, so unless you have any other suggestions I will call a halt now and explore that option this afternoon.

Can you please remove the power to the TV (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then on the actual TV, hold the power button for 60 seconds then release.

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the TV, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

I need to take a break now. I will leave this connection open and call you back later when I have done what you ask.

Thank you

Hi Richard
I have done as you asked. Situation appears unchanged. However I find that the TV will display a small (220Kb) .jpg file which has not been processed at all. I have tried a 440Kb file scanned from a slide (so does not have any EXIF info but has been processed) and this does not display. I belive that Paul's pictures (which did display) were larger but had not been processed. Dies this provide any clues?. There are hints on the internet that the Bravia has problems with files that have been Photoshopped.

No it does not like photoshop but it should have worked with the file I gave you

Try to convert your own non working file using my link below

https://image.online-convert.com/convert-to-jpg

To a jpg

does that then work?

Done that. The TV shows the thumbnail correctly but when I click on it I still get "playback not available".
For your information I shoot in RAW and then convert to .jpg using Lightroom or PaintShopPro.

ok, that I did not know.. I though these were standard JPG

Does this one display?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ztlch6xz7i6wqj7/website.jpg?dl=0

No, that one displays OK on the PC but on the TV it does not show the thumbnail (just the picture icon) and gives the message "playback not available"

ok, follow the steps here please to do a full reset of the TV

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30653/~/how-to-reset-the-tv-to-its-original-factory-settings

Once done, setup the TV again and tell me if they then display please

OK, with some trepidation I will try that!

thank you

Done that - everything seems just as before. I am ready to call it quits unless you can suggest a new line of attack. Why don't we leave it for now and if inspiration strikes after consulting your colleagues you can email me.

It will be compatability with the firmware you have installed, the reset returned it to new correct?

I went through the instuctions you referenced and it appeared to work as described, I'm not aware of having installed any firmware although I believe that there have been a couple of updates since new. The TV is connected to the internet.

yes it would get them automatically.

What about connecting your computer to the TV and displaying it directly as this will bypass this issue and work.

Does your computer have a HDMI connection on it?

The TV can see my PC, they are both connected to the router via ethernet cables. The files in the Pictures folder behave exactly the same as those on the USB. THe computer does not have an HMDI socket. The HMDI on the TV is connected to the TIVO box.

ok, you would then need to use this box

https://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-HDMI-Converter-3-5mm-Audio/dp/B005CWICAG

You connect the video cable from the computer to it and a HDMI from the box to the TV

The TV will then display anything shown on the computer so it will be able to show the pictures, and anything else you display on it

Not a practical solution as the computer is two rooms away from the TV and there is no easy way to run a cable. The TV can see files on the PC via the ethernet, but if there is no way of making it recognise the format I will give up. I can covert the processed 'jpg files to other formats - what others might the TV recognise?

You can then purchase a Chromecast device from here

www.google.com/chromecast

Then do it remotley from the other room.

The TV only recognizes jpg and png, both we did here.

But the Chromecast is another option to mirror your screen.

I am going to call it a day. Is it clear how to cancel the trial so as to avoid any further charges..
Thank you for your efforts.

ok, though I would advise you go with the Google Chromecast solution

I will see how badly the family want to see the pictures on the TV. I am quite happy with the PC.

I understand, but the only way now is with the chromecast

How do I sign off and cancel the trial?

For the trial you need to contact customer service on***@******.*** for this and ask them to stop it (any issues let me know here)

To sign off you rate my service to you within this question on the stars at the top.

Richard, Technician
Richard, Technician