TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Our 2 yr old Samsung model#UN50JU6500F has recently started…

Customer Question
Hello, Our 2 yr...

Hello, Our 2 yr old Samsung model#UN50JU6500F has recently started going to a completely black screen with no sound while watching TV. It only goes to black screen for 3-8 seconds each time, sometimes it happens every few minutes and sometimes we don't notice it happening for hours. We have unplugged and restarted the TV as well as the sound bar and the DVD player. I also had the Verizon cable tech come to see if the problem was related to our FIOS cable or the set top box, but after checking everything he found no problem with the equipment or the connectivity. Have you had any similar issues with this model TV? Please advise with any information. Thank you, ***** *****

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

That information is in the first sentence of my question to you.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

The TV menu works, but we haven't recently changed inputs to watch Netflix or Hulu so I don't know.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

When the Verizon Tech came he said we had a wire connected that was not necessary since we have wireless WIFI and our router was working properly. Since he could not identify any problems coming from his end, he disconnected that wire and said that if by chance, but he did't think so, that was the source of the interference, it should now stop. We did notice that the issue was resolved until about a month or so later when the problem started again. This time the black screen cuts on same as before but now stays for 3-7 seconds then returns to TV, while before the Tech came the black screen would stay on for on 1-2 seconds. It doesnt matter if we are watching live TV or something on the DVR the problem is the same. The TV in our bedroom is not having this problem.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

I think that's everything, thank you

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
9/20/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Hello Meagan,

does this happen with anything other than verizon, such as dvd, or the tvs own apps (like netflix)?

It happens while we are watching the DVR but haven't watched Netflix or Hulu lately so I'm not sure. It's sporadic in the sense that we may be watching TV without any issues for hours, then it start's (the black screen) and continues happening until we turn the TV off. On the other hand it may stop after an hour of doing it or after just several minutes, it's very random.

Would it be possible for you to try to check something else like netflix and observe for several hours, so you'd have sufficient opportunity to see if it happens again?
this is most likely a cable issue, despite what the fios tech may have said, as they likely weren't there long enough to fully observe it. Testing another system is the best next step here from a diagnostic perspective.

My boyfriend just said he watched Netflix last week and didn't notice any problems but then again it's sporadic and may just not have been the "right" time.

I would still like to try observing it further, for a longer duration, if possible. You may bookmark/favorite this page to get back with me when you have a chance to do so.

Ok, we will watch one of the Apps for a day or so and see. Is there any additional fee to email you again and resolve this original problem?
Louie, Technician