TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Half of the screen is distorted on my sylvania 37" LCD, the…

Customer Question
Half of the screen...

Half of the screen is distorted on my sylvania 37" LCD

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Sylvania is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

The model is a LC370ss8 roughly 10 years old

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Same problem all the time

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Well, it started about 18 months after i bought it (new) its been in the closet ever since

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

It started gradually and would go away after some "warm up" time. then eventually it was constant

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: TV
9/20/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 11 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Is the screen split vertically or horizontally?

vertically. the break is just left of center when viewing
Would i be able to post a picture to this chat?

Thank you for confirming,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty tcon board or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2007 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best, ***** ***** with the issues you had even while it was relatively new.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

OK. after some internet research, things were pointing towards a possible TCon failure. I already swapped that out to no avail, but didnt do the power reset thing (not knowing about it :/)

Thank you for the additional info,

if the symptoms are exactly the same before and after the new tcon, then it is either a bad main board or even possibly a lcd panel failure (not fixable).

TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 10 months ago

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.