TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I just turned it on and the picture is all fuzziness,

I just turned it...

I just turned it on and the picture is all fuzziness

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

Pn50c450bid

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Maybe 5 years

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Menu does not wirk

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

It literally just happened I've never had an isdue

9/20/2017
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What do you mean MENU does not work- if you use the original Samsung remote the MENU won't come up? Also is the sound working normally?

When I use the original Samsung remote the menu does not come up

How about the set's Sound please??

How about the set's Sound please??

Note that the site will send you a phone call offer- that is NOT from me. It is sent without my consent and I am not available by phone. To see MY REPLY, "X" out of the offer and view the page that we have been typing on. Also note that any offers for subscriptions or promotions are NOT something I am privy to. I am an independent tech and am only paid with a positive rating for my service. If you understand, please simply say "I Understand" on this page, and we can continue with your Tech issue.

The sound was working...but doesn't seem to be now
I have checked all of my connctions and have unplugged and re plugged the TV IN

Okay thank you. If the set's own MENU won't come up, it has nothing to do with connections- it's an internal hardware failure (the Samsung remote's buttons supersede all external connections). So this would appear to be a failure in the Plasma display processing of the TV. Once more, please use that Samsung remote (not a cable remote) and press Source or Volume. Do those icons display normally on the screen or no?

No

Okay, this is a hardware failure unfortunately and generally requires repairs made to the set.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Sorry...this did not work

I'm sorry to hear that, and that is all you can try on a user level. Please give me a few minutes to type up the answer.

Ok

Unfortunately this does require repairs- and is not uncommon at all when plasma sets get on in years. The average lifespan for these sets is between 5-7 years. This problem can happen due to several things. The power supply is a common cause of this problem. This typically will cost you $300-$350 to have repaired.

The other very common issues, are problems with the Sustain boards failing. They are responsible processing the Plasma display and are common failures for this type of TV. The average cost for this type of repair is around $450 parts and labor.

Given that a brand new 50" LED TV can be purchased for about the same cost as repairing this set, it may make more sense to put that same money towards replacement of the set- versus repairs.

However if you would like to inquire about repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Aric, Technician
Thank you for your help!!!
Aric, Technician