Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

WLAN Mac is all zeros. Tv is no longer in warranty. To

WLAN Mac is all zeros. Tv is no longer in warranty. To repair costs same amount as I purchased tv for (9/28/16). Can I buy a part me fix myself?
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: Vizio 40in, s/n: LWZ9SFBR1201080
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Not sure year. Purchased 9/28/16
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Tv menu works. When trying to connect to wifi no networks shown
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: It happened while watching the Netflix app Monday night

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Can you tell me the model number of the tv, please?

Do the other inputs work, just not the apps?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thank you.Refurbished: Vizio 40" 1080p Effective Refresh Rate 120Hz LED-LCD HDTV E40X-C2This is from my Receipt.Everything works just no internet.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Serial number: LWZ9SFBR1201080

Thank you for confirming,

This would be a failure of the internal wifi adapter and/or the main board.

It is possible to purchase and replace them, the wifi adapter will be approximately $25, the main boar ~$75.

Personally, I would not recommend investing anything in this tv though. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best and being a refurb model, its already past its service life (built in 2015). What I would recommend instead is to bypass the smart functions and instead connect up an external streaming device like a roku or fire tv and get all the same functions and many more, with better performance and lower cost. That same streaming device can also be used with a future tv when the vizio inevitably has other parts fail and you end up replacing it.

I can help with finding parts though, if you'd like.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I am not familiar with roku or firestick. Can you explain how it works? Also since the wifi adapter is blown could I hard connect to the modem? Thank you

A hardwired ethernet connection may work, it really depends if the failure is in the wifi adapter or the main board, something you really can't know for sure without actually replacing the adapter and testing. It wouldn't hurt to try the wired connection, but if the fault is in the main, then it wouldn't work that way either.

You can click on the links: roku or fire tv to view/buy. Basically this is an external device (a small box or stick) which plugs into a hdmi port on the tv, comes with its own remote, and connects to the wifi on its own. It works similar to how a cable box or dvd player would, in that you select the input used (hdmi1, hdmi2, etc) on the tv, then switch over to the roku remote for example, and it shows a home screen with a list of hundreds of apps (netflix, hulu, amazon, hbo, etc) that you can use.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Ok. Thanks so much for your help. Have a nice day.

You're very welcome, Sara! Have a great day,