TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a LG 42LN5400 and it is about 4 yrs old.... The set

I have a LG 42LN5400...
I have a LG 42LN5400 and it is about 4 yrs old.... The set has sound but no pic when it starts up you can see a slight light come on then go away.....can it be fixed and is it worh getting fix. I would think I TV I paid around 500.00 for should last a little longer than 4 yrs
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: Im ready
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: 42LN5400 about4 yrs old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The menu does not come up and all sources are black screen but sound is working
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: started 2 days ago ...Prior the TV was working fine
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
9/20/2017
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

This issue is most commonly related to a failed power supply/LED board (which is what lights the LED strips in the screen of the TV) and is not an uncommon failure. In some cases- it can also be caused by the LED strips themselves (only testing with a meter can determine that for certain). If you're looking to repair the set yourself, the power supply LED board is at the link below (currently showing as out of stock- with a fair likelihood of the part being available again):

http://www.shopjimmy.com/lg-eay62810601-power-supply-led-board.htm

Many LG sets are more prone to LED strip failure in the screen (this is not one of the models on that list however), so the power board should fix it. However if it does not, then the LED strips are at fault (below for $55):

http://www.shopjimmy.com/lg-lc420dug-jfr1-led-strips-10-strips-1-board.htm

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Ok but is it worth fixing after all said and done

Well you would need to be the judge of that. The prices are all outlined above in my replies, and whether or not it's worth spending $100 to fix it yourself, $250 at a shop, or to put that same $250 towards a new set is your call.

If it were me, I would spend the $100 on parts to fix it, but would not consider having a shop do it at $250 if that helps.

Aric, Technician
Thanks Aric..think I'll find a board and drop it in...saw some refurbished boards for 40.00 I'm hoping that one I get the back off the Board will be located there
Hi Aric....just wanted to let you know that I got the new PS board and put it in and still no pic....must be the LED's or could it be the mother board....how can I determine?

Sorry, that would indicate the LED light strips within the screen, these are the only two possible causes.

Aric, Technician