Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a Sharp Aquos monitor that continuously turns on and

Customer Question

Hi I have a Sharp Aquos monitor that continuously turns on and off. Ive done the reset but it continues turning on and off. How do I get this repaired?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Sharp is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Hi Pearl...model LC65E77UM
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: It's more than 5 years old
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: The monitor is black and it just keeps turning on and off but the power supply seems to be struggling because I hear a slight click where the power supply is.
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: It's been happening since I came back from my trip
Category: TV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I purchased the tv on 2/5/2010
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2009 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. This tv is about 3 times the service life expected of a sharp set.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $400 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. This is assuming parts can even be found in the first place, which is very unlikely.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new 4k LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $800 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nathan...
I leave it unplugged for over an hour and do the reset steps you suggest.
I have no issues dismantling it...please send me places where I can order parts at...the power supply part number is ***** A
S/N: B18W0936017882Maybe it's just changing out the power supply...my dad is an engineer and he tells me it may be caused by humidity developed in my beach apartment. This is the second time this happens but this time...the monitor simply does not turn on at all even if the power light is on and then it just turns off...it continues like this forever. I thought the humidity would dry up once it continues turning on and off but this time it didn't.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I attached some photos of my monitor and part. It's in mint conditions...it's just unfortunate it's giving me this on and off issue now.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

The power supply is one of many possible failure points. You could certainly try to replace it, but as I mentioned parts are nearly impossible to find for these sets. That power supply is not available new from any reputable vendor. You may be able to occasionally find a used one on ebay. Even then, despite otherwise being happy with it, this tv truly is not worth fixing. Even if you manage to fix this issue it will not extend the life of the tv any appreciable amount and you will continue having other boards fail sooner than later. This tv really is over 3 times the service life for which it was built and is not worth fixing.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in, do you need more help with this?