TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a vizio tv that I turned off last night with the dish…

Customer Question
I have a vizio...

I have a vizio tv that I turned off last night with the dish network remote. It has been set up to this tv for more than a year and always done fine except one other time. The other time I plugged it in at another place and it come on fine. Moved it back to the original place and it worked fine until after I turned it off last night. Now when plugged in nothing come on the name doesn't light up or anything. What would be causing this problem

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Vizio is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

E371VL IS MODEL number. Not sure how long we've had it

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Tv does not come on at all It's like it is not plugged in. But everything else works fine in that plug

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

About a month ago it did the same thing but when moved to another plug it came on. After that it worked fine until I turned it off last night

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: TV
9/19/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 10 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Are there currently any signs of life on the set at all (power light lit or blinking, etc.)?

No

Thank you for the reply. We often see these sets develop faults after a few years, and in most cases it requires replacement of a component (the Power Supply Board being the most common).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Nothing happened

I'm sorry to hear that, please allow me a few minutes to compose my answer.

When plugged in before the name vizio always lit up. That does not happen now

If you're still having the same problem, then unfortunately this indicates the set's power supply board has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $50:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vizio-37-E370VL-E371VL-0500-0412-1020-LCD-Power-Supply-Board-Unit-Motherboard-/361313860265?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?