TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have DIRECTV remote RC72, and recently added a Vizio

SB4551-d5 sound system. Would like to...
I have DIRECTV remote RC72, and recently added a Vizio SB4551-d5 sound system.
Would like to have just one remote... can the DIRECTV be programmed? No luck so far
9/19/2017
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan.

What codes have you tried? Also, does the remote already operate your TV and DirecTV receiver properly?

The remote turns the tv and sound system on. It only turns the directv box off. I have to use the Sony remote to turn the tv off. I have to use the vizio remote to turn off the sound system. I've tried 3 or four codes, but may not be entering them correctly. I may just go buy a harmony remote!

OK here are the steps to program the remote properly. Let me know if you've already tried this...

Note: Before you begin, make sure your Genie remote is in RF mode. To do this, point the remote at your Genie HD DVR, Genie Mini, or Wireless Genie Mini. Press and hold the MUTE and ENTER buttons until the green light at the top of the remote blinks twice. When the TV screen displays Applying IR/RF setup, you are in RF mode.

Program remote for an HDTV or audio device

1. Press MENU on your remote.
  2. Select Settings & Help > Settings.
  3. Select Remote Control > Program Remote.
  4. Select the device you wish to program.
  5. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete programming.

You should be able to follow those steps for the TV and sound bar.

I'm heading home to give it a try. ...

OK, no rush. I'll be on and off the site all day.

Well, the only device I see is "Program TV"

After you select "Program Remote" the only option is TV?

Ok, after screwing around, I got the volume button working on the tv remote, but it only worked raising the volume! Also the mute button made the volume go up. So I did a reset on the remote, and the sound bar showed up on the tv... so I was able to program it, and it works fine. Crazy...

I'm happy to hear it's up and running! Sometimes these smart remotes aren't so smart, after all =)

If I can do anything else for you, just ask. Also, please remember to rate the service I've provided. I hope it was excellent!

You will get the best! Thanks...

You're welcome!