TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My tv will not stay on. I get a connection for a second and…

My tv will not...

My tv will not stay on. I get a connection for a second and then it turns off.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

VisioM370NV, July of 2010

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Can't get it to stay on to try anything

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Just started this morning. Had trouble with remote right before.

9/19/2017
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Does the TV physically shut itself down (the power light changes to the off position), or do you simply lose picture and/or sound?

The power light changes for a second and then goes back to orange(off position). No picture or sound has time to come on.

Okay thank you.

We often see these sets develop faults after a few years, and in most cases it requires replacement of a component (the Power Supply Board being the most common).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Tried twice. It held on a few seconds longer but then turned off.

I'm sorry to hear that. Please give me a few minutest to type up the answer.

If you're still having the same problem, then unfortunately this indicates the set's power supply board has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $45:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIZIO-M370NV-POWER-SUPPLY-/361426932063?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

If I order the part, it really is easy enough to do on my own?

Everyone's skillset is different. I have no way of knowing if this will be easy or hard for you. i would suggest searching YouTube for "Vizio power supply replacement" and see if this is something that you're able to tackle. The procedure is the same for all model flat screen so any of the videos will help.

Aric, Technician
Ok. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome and best of luck.

Aric, Technician