TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Toshiba 36 WLT 66 T V. how to I change it to

Customer Question
I have a Toshiba...

I have a Toshiba 36 WLT 66 T V . how to I change it to digital from analogue

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

36 WLT 66 over 10 yrs. Says digital on the front

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Other TV works from same point. Have run set up and auto tune

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Just removed sky box and connected to antena

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: TV
9/18/2017
TV Technician: Louie, Technician replied 9 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the Toshiba TV.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

36 WLT 66 Toshiba

I checked the specifications of the WLT66 series from the manual and it would appear that it does not have hardware provisions for the DVB -T / Freeview channels.

Still, were you able to select DTV?

On the front of the tv it says 'intergrated digital tv' In my manual it refers to 'in digital mode' for items such as guide. It is just BBC and ITV that I want to receive

In your copy of the manual, does the specification page includes DVB -T as a broadcast system aside from the PAL and SECAM?

Pal-1
Pal-B/G
Secam-L
Secam/D/K/R12
Video input pal,Secam,ntst 3.58/4.43
I do not want free view channels just terrestrial. BBC etc.

To my understanding, the United Kingdom, has switchover its terrestrial TV to DVB -T. This started 17 October 2007 and was completed on 24 October 2012. Each group of transmitters within each TV region had its PAL and SECAM broadcasts switched off at a certain point between those dates.

For help and support regarding the digital switchover, please contact Digital UK: Telephone: 08456 50 50 50

Toshiba 's WLT 66 series of televisions would not work with DVB - T over-the-air (OTA) TV broadcasts as it is only capable of PAL and SECAM OTA. It therefore can not directly receive the current TV transmissions including BBC and ITV.

If you require technical or warranty support on this television, please contact the manufacturer helpline; Telephone: 0871 2000 463

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, this is a technical/hardware limitation on this TV's design; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.

A workaround is to make use of a set-top-box. Should this be of interest, please click HERE among others.

Thanks for that but I am confused. Managed to speak to Toshiba UK who say that it should be able to receive digital and it must be a hardware problem.

I understand.

Still, the above proposed workaround; i.e. the use of a set-top-box would work even if repairs are not done.

Hi Louie
Problem solved. Took the set to the local T V repair shop. He pressed and held the button below the number 9 which is a circle with an arrow through. A menu appeared selected DTV did auto setup and bingo it is now digital.£10. Thanks for trying but difficult at a distance and surprised Toshiba did not know or put it in the manual.
Regards

Great John! Good to hear that the issue has been resolved, congratulations.