TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My Sony KDL-46XBR4 has gone out. It started being difficult…

Customer Question
Hello. My Sony KDL-46XBR4...

Hello. My Sony KDL-46XBR4 has gone out. It started being difficult to power on about 18 months ago. I'd have to unplug the power and HDMI and replug them and try off and on multiple times - it would finally start. I then decided to leave the TV on at all times and only turn off the cable box. That worked for over a year. Then . . . my wife forgot and turned it off and it won't power up again. The Sony logo and the front-bottom-center does light up when I attempt to turn it on, but nothing else. I checked the 250v fuse on the power board and, as expected, it's good. Since there are actually six boards on the back of the TV, I don't know where to begin.

Technician's Assistant: What is the exact make and model of your tv? And how long has this been an issue?

I'm sorry. Did you not read my message?

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

I presume these are computer generated responses since they aren't really appropriate.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

What is your name?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
9/17/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Okay

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2007 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is over double its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; meaning to replace the AU board as a starting point: http://bit.ly/2jDhPbs

The part is luckily available and inexpensive, however keep in mind that even if you are able to fix the current issue, it will not extend the life of the tv any appreciable amount. Given the age, the other 5 boards will be expected to fail at any time now as well.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age, replacement will usually make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv, even the latest 4k models, with a fresh warranty in the $300-400 range.

I can help you with finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

How do I stay in touch with you while I try the suggestion?
What makes you think it's the Sony A-1313-996-B (1-873-856-21) AU Board instead of one of the other five boards?
What is happening during ONE-HOUR wait you mentioned that wouldn't happen in Twenty minutes? If it is to drain power, could I not ground it to do this immediately, since the cover is already removed from the back of the TV?

Because of your indication that you had to pull the hdmi as well.

If it is powering on even initially, then that means the power supply board is fine, which really leaves the main as the primary failure point. The hdmi processing is on the AU board as well.

Yes you could ground it to discharge power if you have the back off already and leave it off for a shorter period.

I'll be back shortly

Thanks

You disappeared from my notebook

Not sure what you mean?

I need you to re-evaluate your logic about choosing the main board to replace.
I said I unplugged both cords - but that was just to start with a clean slate. I have nothing to demonstrate that I had cause to unplug the HDMI. The fact is that the most important thing seems to have been NOT to turn off the TV. I always turned off the DirecTV that was connected via HDMI.
Do these facts give you cause to reconsider possibly the power board, even though, as I stated, the Sony logo would always light up when I attempt to turn on the TV - even now?
As long as the TV wasn't turned off for the last 18 months it continued to work -- until my wife forgot and turned it off.

So you have been leaving it on and operating it continuously, just turning the directv off (so you had a black but lit screen, no sound, but tv still on)?

Even if so, if the power board was at fault, it wouldn't have sufficient voltage to start up in the first place, so you wouldn't even get the logo, and the main board is still the primary failure point in that situation.

Anyhow, the hour passed since Ed I first disconnected the power when I removed the back cover and the test failed. I didn't drain it because there are multiple capacitors and it's out of my league which or how many to work with.

There are multiple capacitors, the point of the process is to remove power from the integrated circuitry on the main really, which is accomplished by the long unplug, in addition to the holding of the power button while still unplugged, which will have the same effect of draining power from those caps.

To be sure you understand clearly, the logo is not on the screen. It's part of the TV case.

Okay I thought you were referring to the boot up logo, thank you for clarifying.

That can change things a bit, so you would need to actually proceed with testing the outputs of the power supply to see if there are any low/missing voltages there.

If you don't want to deal with the testing, you could jump ahead and replace the power supply. The power board is available for about $25: http://www.shopjimmy.com/sony/kdl-46xbr4?cat=59&q=KDL-46XBR4&tv_models=Sony+KDL-46XBR4

so even if you wanted to just do the shotgun approach and buy both the main and power, you'd get away for $50 or less and be addressing the 2 primary failure points here that are by far the most likely to be the cause. If it were anything else, you'd have other symptoms.

Sorry, your link showed the following:Sony A-1313-996-B (1-873-856-21) AU Board
Just want to be sure I should get the "A" and not the "B"
If you replied I never got it.

My apologies for the delay, I didn't see your prior messages.

There are hardware revisions, depending which panel was used in your set,

You do want to match your current part, so you would want the B variant: http://www.shopjimmy.com/sony-a-1313-996-b-au-board.htm

Sorry, I don't think you are reading my message correctly.
I have the: Sony A-1313-996-A (1-873-856-11) AU Board.
You sent a link to:
Sony A-1313-996-B (1-873-856-21) AU Board
Notice the "B" and the "-21" difference.
At ShopJimmy it's says: "This board may or may not have a connector at CN1202."
Does this matter to me?
You gave me a link for the Power Board: Sony A-1253-585-A.
At ShopJimmy it says this is a "Backlight Inverter." Is that actually the same thing as a power board?
I found A-1362549-A to be the:
GF1 Board, Power Supply Unit

I didn't see the image you attached earlier, I was saying you want to match what you currently, have, so if you have the A board now, that is what you want to get, or match B for B.

Looking at the picture you sent, that is the A version. The very first link I sent was to the B version,

your picture looks like it is the A version, so you'd use the A: http://www.shopjimmy.com/sony-a-1433-189-a-au-signal-board.htm#

yes, it does mention the connector disclaimer, which is more about making sure you get the right version. In some cases the A model may work fine in an A or B tv, but the B board won't necessarily work in an A. The real point is to try to get a proper match where possible.

The power link I was sending was meant to be to a list of all the power boards, so you could choose the one that matches your current part.

The GF1 board is what I was trying to point to, and that is the power board, and not the same as the backlight inverters (which is power related as well, but not the primary power supply board).

Just checking in, were you able to get the new board?

Nathan, Installer