TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Louie... I have a Toshiba 49 inch LED TV that keeps

Customer Question
hey Louie... I have...
hey Louie... I have a Toshiba 49 inch LED TV that keeps auto-dimming on me. Any way to turn that off?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/17/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Does this seem to happen at different times of day, or after a certain period of time?

I have 2 of the same TV, hanging sideways on a wall (used as online menus for a cafe), and they both autodim, within moments of turning them on. From what I read, it looks like they have an auto dimming feature, but I can't find how to turn it off, or leave the brightness set at full. During the day, when they autodim, the TVs/menus are very difficult to read.

Go into the menu, under picture, then Advanced picture settings, then to Dynamic Backlight, and set that to Off, you may need to do the same with contrast as well.
Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,

I tried turning off Dynamic Backlight, and that didn't work. I won't be back in front of the TV until tomorrow, and will try also turning off Contrast then as well.

One other thing to try if those don't help is to set the Picture mode to PC (instead of movie, game, etc). When it thinks it is being used as a pc monitor, which is essentially what you are doing, it drops off most of the other picture adjustment features.

That option was greyed out, unfortunately. I am using a USB stick on the back - would that possibly be why that option is greyed out?

Ah yes it would as it only works on hdmi, I thought you were driving it from an external signage device.

Unfortunately, none of those things worked. When I turn on the TV, it's bright, then within seconds, it dims still - as before.

Thank you for trying,

have you tried using either game or normal as the picture mode setting yet?

Game mode is also greyed out. Normal I have tried, yes. Same result. Seems there is no way to turn off the auto sensor?

The sensor should go off when in usb or game mode, it seems you cannot use those however when running off the internal usb, so that is the conflict here.

You could stream through an external device, or the other alternative, though a bit more crude, is to try to cover the sensor. It should be located right next to the infrared sensor, so on the front panel of the tv, below the screen somewhere. You can take a piece of cardboard and cover over it while pressing remote buttons to see where it stops responding, so you can locate the sensor. Then from there cover that area up with black electrical tape. It will take some experimenting to find where the light sensor is vs the ir sensor, but covering it should keep the brightness level fixed at one point.

Hi Jason, just checking in, any luck with this?

Nathan, Installer