TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV kept on patio. Unplugged and took in house during

TV kept on patio...

TV kept on patio. Unplugged and took in house during hurricane. When returned to patio and plugged in it will not power up. Cable is on. Model number GV46L - HD TV. Serial number AHLFCVAG361028. Manufactured September, 2006.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

It is in my message.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Menu doesn't work because it will not power up. All other tvs work.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Apparently you are not reading my message. I told you it happened following hurricane Irma which was on Sunday, Sept. 10th. We put the tv back on the patio Sept. 11th, last Monday. TV was working fine before unplugging it in preparation of the hurricane.

9/16/2017
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hello
My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with this.
A few questions coming up and please note that there may be delays between replies if i have to gather various info .
Also ,If you seem to lose me during the chat then refresh your browser (F5 key) and /or scroll down to the last written line at the bottom , that window seem to get stuck at times .
Please send me a hello so i know you can see my reply ?

Hello

Note that myself I do not send those $26 phone offers that you will receive , they are automated by the website and I`m not available for it at this time but another expert might be if you`d rather do this on the phone .

Sorry was out for a bit

What is the tv doing now if anything ?
If you pull out the power cord 20 secs or so is there a light or blinking light at the front and/or clicking sound from inside when you plug the power cord again and try to turn it on ?
Or completely dead no activity whatsoever ?

Phone number should be(###) ###-#### You have the wrong area code. Please try and call now. We are waiting.

I`m ready to accept your phone request but first i want to make sure you understand that this cost an extra $26
Do you still want that call or do you wish to continue in chat mode ?
That offer was sent automated by the website by the way , NOT ME

TV completely dead. Tried unplugging and then plugging in again and holding on/off button for 10 seconds. Nothing. No light, no sound.

How long was it left with the power unplugged and how long now since you plugged it back ?

Prefer to chat with you and not receive phone call. I thought I would be talking to you.

Yes you would be but the website charges an extra $26 so I wanted to warn you

In that case I will close that phone request as we won`t be using it , you may see a charge for it but it will be credited when i send it in as incomplete /canceled

Jack
Jack, Technician
Phone call session started
Unplugged on Saturday, Sept. 9th. Plugged back in on Sept. 11th.

O.k and the light at the front is dead , does not come on at all ?

Correct.

O.k then please give me a few to type this down

What is more than likely happening here is a dead power supply circuit

This tv is well past its prime and the capacitors on that board are probably weak/vented and those old caps do not like to be left uncharged for any extended period

If the tv has been plugged in since the 11th now then they are simply gone over the edge of recovery and that would mean a new power board that sells for some $60 and also will need to be adjusted with a voltmeter to the specs written inside the tv

Sorry but nothing easy about these older plasma TV's

This means that you likely would need help from a local repair shop and for a tv that age I would thing twice about investing $200+ while you can get a new 46" tv for about $300

I think your money would be better invested in a new tv ,

Best bang for your buck right now would be Insignia at bestbuy

in your opinion you think it best that we invest in a new tv, which is what I suspected we would be doing. Not heard of an Insignia.

That's the brand name made for bestbuy and they are quite surprising considering the price , I would take a look if you think of buying a new one

And yes , I would go for a new tv , this one has been pretty good but its time is done , sorry

If you want to repair it yourself I will find the parts for you but as I said ,there is nothing easy about these older plasma TV's and you will need to be comfortable working with circuit boards and meters

Thank you for your help.

Much welcome and thank you

Jack
Jack
Jack, Technician