TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

The TV keeps randomly turning off and then back on again.

Customer Question
The TV keeps randomly...

The TV keeps randomly turning off and then back on again. This morning though, the picture froze and it wouldn't respond to the remote. We had to unplug it from the wall and then turn it back on.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

Phillips model number 46pfl7705d/f7 / Purchased in 2011 or 2012

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

TV menu works and I checked to make sure the software is up to date. It doesn't look there's ever been an update released for it.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Not sure if it's an issue on all inputs. We only use one HDMI input and the antenna. It's been happening for a few months (2-3). I can't think of anything specific that happened before it started happening.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

Nothing that I can think of.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: TV
9/15/2017
TV Technician: Richard, Technician replied 11 months ago
Richard, Technician

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the TV (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then on the actual TV, hold the power button for 60 seconds then release.

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the TV, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Hi Richard. The issue happens randomly, so I won't be able to say whether or not it's working properly right away.

No problem, I can mark this to remmain open so if it returns we can then continue again, is this ok?

We tried it this morning after experiencing the issue and as soon as we turned it on after the reset, it shut off again.

When it turns off, does it turn itself back on again automatically?

Sometimes. But not in the past few days. It'll make a big popping sound then the screen will freeze. Then we have to unplug it to get it to turn off.

Thanks

The issue is a faulting capacitor, this is the popping sound it makes, eventually it will not turn on at all. Based on the symptoms you described, it will be on the powerboard and this will need to be replaced.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the TV to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you