TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have just moved my Insignia TV to another room and upon…

Customer Question
I have just moved...

I have just moved my Insignia TV to another room and upon reconnection, the volume bar dropped to zero and I can't either any sound; either by using the remote (replaced batteries) or by using the on board buttons.

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Insignia is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It's about 10 years old.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

I use the TV remote to turn the TV on and off and the remote from my cable provider for channel selection (which is working). I had been able tp get volume from both remotes before the move.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

The tV was relocated within the last 30 minutes. Upon turning it back on, the volume bar went to zero and cannot be moved to increase the volume.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

No Thank you

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: TV
9/15/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 11 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Please follow the steps below:

1) Shut the TV off, and then disconnect the cable/SAT box AND the TV from power (unplug their power cords).

2) If using an HDMI cable, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on both ends when the cable box is unplugged from power (make sure it's secure on both ends).

3) Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 full seconds while the set is unplugged, then release the power button.

4) Plug the cable box AND the TV back into power, give the box a few minutes to reboot, and then turn the TV on and attempt to watch a program.

Let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps and are you still having the same problem?

The same problem. No sound by using either of the two remotes or using the volume button on the side of the TV.

Okay, is the volume bar still stuck on zero as well? If so, what's the full model number off of the back of the Insignia?

Are you still with me here?

Model # NS-LCD37-09
MFD 8D02

Thanks for the reply. If the volume bar is still stuck at zero and won't respond even after the reboot steps outlined above- then this indicates a hardware fault has occurred in the set (there's no adjustments that will cause the volume bar to be non-responsive). More specifically the Mainboard has a fault and needs to be replaced. If you're looking to repair the set yourself, the Mainboard is a plug and play component (meaning no soldering is required to replace it) and it can be purchased at the link below for your set:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/37-INSIGNIA-LCD-TV-NS-LCD37-09-Main-Board-CBPFTQ9CBZK009-/172842129206?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

AricThank you for your efforts. Given the set's agent will probably be replaced.

You're welcome, and that is what I would consider as well based on the age of the set.

Also, you paid the website a deposit to work with me, but I am not actually paid unless you click a positive rating. Could you do that for me please?

Do you need further assistance with this?