TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

It suddenly stopped working. I was watching tv, then the…

Customer Question
It suddenly stopped working...

It suddenly stopped working. I was watching tv, then the picture went black and the sound went weird. I can only turn it on with the power button on the set. it does not recognize the remotes. And when it's on, it doesn't recognize any of my inputs--directv, fire stick. black screen.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

It is 6 years old. Vizio E422VA. Is that the model number?

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

I can get the TV menu to show but only by pushing the button on the TV. None of the inputs work.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It just started doing it while I was watching a show on the dvr a short while ago. I just turned it on again and it seems to be getting a signal, but the screen is black. Audio is very distorted.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: TV
9/14/2017
TV Technician: Jack, Technician replied 11 months ago
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hello
My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with this.

What you described is a defective main board and if you are int this then you will need to open the tv to lookup the main board version , there are 3 of them for this model and they cost in average around $100

Let me know and i`ll find it for you

If that is not your cup of tea so to speak then to have this repaired at home could cost you around $250 parts included and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself .

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the link below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com
This will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.
This list may be limited though and you may find more the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around .

but if i may be frank , considering the age of the tv and the fact that you can get a new 42" tv with all the bells and whistles for around or less than $300 ,I would think twice before investing that kind of money into this one.

Let me know if you have questions and if not for now then PLEASE DO TAKE THE TIME TO RATE (stars above and submit), it does not cost you anything more and does not close this post ,
Also you can come back at any time without additional charges if you have further questions or need help and it gets this independent tech. paid for his time helping you .