Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

The picture just went out. Screen is black, although when I

Customer Question

The picture just went out. Screen is black, although when I first turn on, I can see some back-lighting. It gets dimmer over the 1-2 minutes, but no picture on screen and no sound.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: 70" Vizio. Looking for model # now
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Looks like E707i-A3E
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Started a couple days ago. I was watching TV, left the room to do something. When I came back, screen was blank. TV Menu does not work. All other TV's in house work fine
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Hello
My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with this.
A few questions coming up and please note that there may be delays between replies if i have to gather various info .
Also ,If you seem to lose me during the chat then refresh your browser (F5 key) and /or scroll down to the last written line at the bottom , that window seem to get stuck at times .
Please send me a hello so i know you can see my reply ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Did you lose both sound and picture at the same time ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I believe so
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

If you press the INPUT button repeatedly on the remote to get through the inputs until you get where the cable or satellite box might be connected , can you find sound ?

This is quite important here to know if the tv can still give sound , it would mean the difference between a defective main or t-con board

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

By the way

Did you have in mind to look into repairing this yourself or simply would like to have an idea of what is involved and the costs of repair ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have sound. Would like to repair myself if possible. Would like to know what it will cost
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

O.k then this is good news , this means you have a defective t-con board that cost some $60 to buy

Give me a minute for the details

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

This is your board , click this link ; http://www.shopjimmy.com/vizio-runtk5261tpzh-t-con-board-see-note.htm

And this is how you lock/unlock the ribbon cables at the top ,click the link below

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Let me know if you have questions and if not for now then PLEASE DO TAKE THE TIME TO RATE (stars above and submit), it does not cost you anything more and does not close this post ,
Also you can come back at any time without additional charges if you have further questions or need help and it gets this independent tech. paid for his time helping you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How difficult is it to replace this board??
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

This is Plug&Play ,no solder or adjustments and if you are handy with a screwdriver and can remove the back cover then you can do this yourself, no special tools required.

Screws and plugs is all

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

If that is not your cup of tea so to speak then to have this repaired at home could cost you around $250 to $300 parts included and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself .

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Any questions on this ?
If not for now then PLEASE DO RATE , it doesn`t cost you anything more and I get paid for my time.

If you cant find the rating system (stars at the top and SUBMIT ) then you can do it verbally here by saying like " I rate " excellent/good service

Remember that you can come back here at any time after rating (no additional charges) if you have other questions related to that

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

By the way , there is a video on that page that shows you how to replace that board