Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Its about 6 yrs old lg plasma - all of a sudden turned

Customer Question

hi its about 6 yrs old lg plasma - all of a sudden turned itself on and wont turn on either by power button or remotes
JA: Has this happened before? And have you tried unplugging your LG and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: we didnt unplug yet (its on the wall) but it has been powered down since it shut off - we just got home from work and no change will try unplugging overnight other outlets on same breaker work fine
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: i cant get it to power up to get to a menu its dead
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: it had been working well we are in portland oregon no storms or power outages here it just shut down last night
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I will take your first advice and unplug it overnight dont want to waste their time
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Is there any chance you can get me the full model number off of the back of the set?

Also, are there currently any signs of life on the TV at all (power light lit or blinking, click sounds, etc.)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi Aric no there is no sign of life no clicking no light nothing
I will have to work on the model number for you that will likely have to be tomorrow
its about a 50 to 55 inch plasma bought in about 2010 or 2011
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the reply.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
will do
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Okay, standing by.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I cant budge it from the wall this thing weighs about 100 lbs and its mounted over the fire place
can I contact someone back to finish trouble shooting tomorrow?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Ahh, I understand, and yes- You can reply back here at anytime by, Bookmarking the Page/Add to Favorites, logging onto www.justanswer.com, then clicking on "My Questions", or by clicking on any of the links in the Reply E-mails the site sends you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
perfect thanks so much!
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

You're welcome, and talk to you tomorrow.