TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

It won't turn on. We have checked all the cords etc. changed

It won't turn on. We...
It won't turn on. We have checked all the cords etc. changed the batteries in both remotes. Was working fine. Turned it off and it won't turn back on.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: Vizio model D32-D1 or D32h--D1 0r D32x-D1 is what the book says
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Can't tell because it won't turn on to see. The direct box and dvd player both come on fine and they are all connected.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: The TV was on. I turned it off with the Direct remote. About ten minutes later my husband tried to turn it on and it wouldn't turn on. We tried the TV remote and it wouldn't turn it on either.
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
9/12/2017
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Cab you tell me how long you've owned the set for roughly please? Also are there currently ANY signs of life on the TV at all (power light, etc.)?

We bought the TV in Nov. last year so it isn't even a year old. No signs of life, no power light.

Thanks for the reply, and that's good news that the set is not quite a year old yet. These symptoms point to a premature failure within the TV (most commonly the Mainboard) preventing it from powering on, and in most cases requires replacement of that component to fix the issue.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (located on the lower left hand rear corner of the set), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

That worked! Thank you very much! My husband is happy again.

Excellent! You're very welcome and I'm glad to hear that.

Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Aric, Technician
No phone call necessary. Thanks again!

You're welcome!

Aric, Technician