Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

The TV is dark - you can see pictures, but the back light is

The TV is dark - you can see pictures, but the back light is too dark to make much out. I tried adjusting brightness, back light, and contrast up and down, but they made no difference at all. I reset them to factory settings and still no difference.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Sharp HD LED 32"/50, the model numbers on the guide are LC-32LB370U and LC-50LB370U
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: yes, and yes. Tried satellite input with all HDMI ports and the 3 cables - all same results
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: The TV is about 2.5 years old. IT's in an employee break room and I just found out about it yesterday. The employees said it's been that way for a couple of weeks - not sure of anything that happened. It's wall- mounted
JA: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....
Are you available to chat with me right now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Is it the 32" or the 50" or something else?

Is this more than one tv?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Looks like the 50". The user guide is for both. Just one TV

Ok. Have you tried unplugging the POWER cord for 3 minutes?

Appears site sent you a phone call offer. I did not send the offer.
I am not available by phone, but we can continue our chat.....

Have you tried unplugging the POWER cord for 3 minutes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there is no difference. The screen comes up, but it is very dark - you almost can't see it

Unfortunately, 90% of the time this is going to be the back light strips inside the display panel. Fixing that is very risky, the tv screen has to be torn open, repair shops won't even do it but there are youtube videos if you want to try it. Getting the back light strips is another challenge, not in stock at the usual place, so....

You could take the $50 10% chance that it's the Power supply board, those boards are hard to find but some are on eBay right now....

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, thanks

Otherwise you could call a local repair shop but in home repairs start at $250 on this model and most shops charge just for diagnosis. So you may want to compare that to prices of new 50" tv's.

I know this is bad news and very upsetting but please understand I am here to provide an honest answer. I hope you will submit a 5 star rating at the top of this page and not base the rating on the fact that your tv needs parts or services outside of our control. If for some reason you don't feel I should get 5 stars, please do not rate and just let me know and I will follow up with you here.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yep, totally understand. Thanks for your help

You're welcome. All the best.