TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a 65 inch Panasonic plasma TV. It is over 5 years

Customer Question
old. I find I have...
I have a 65 inch Panasonic plasma TV. It is over 5 years old. I find I have lost all sound when on cable TV via HDMI cable. At the same time I can play a DVD with full sound on the TV and can play cable TV via another cable box on another TV and get full sound. I have played with all the speaker controls and still no sound. The TV has sound, but sound will not play when getting cable TV via HDMI cable.
JA: What is the exact make and model of your tv? And how long has this been an issue?
Customer: It has been an issue for 12 hours. I will have to look up the set for details
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have tried everything. I have reset the sound system several times. I still can't find the paperwork on the TV but it is about 65 inches, plasma, and I have had it about 5 or 6 years.
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: TV
9/12/2017
TV Technician: Richard, Technician replied 3 months ago
Richard, Technician

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the TV (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then on the actual TV, hold the power button for 60 seconds then release.

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the TV, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

I will do it, but I am thinking that this is a cable box issue since I can play dvds and blu rays and get perfect sound through the TV.

ok, but I want to rule this out first please

I will have to remove five pieces of furniture and sort through cables in the drywall to get to the plug. By the way, we recently had a 2 hour power outage, but the sound was OK after that. Perhaps I will just try switching cable boxes first and see if that does it. I can get to the cable box a lot easier than to the outlet plug on the set.
Let's end this session now, thanks for your suggestions.

You need to go through drywall to unplug it from the power socket?

we can skip though if you really wish

Whats the make and model of the cable box?

Louie, Technician