TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

It doesn't turn on or off. Kind of just blinks, Samsung 50…

Customer Question
It doesn't turn on...

It doesn't turn on or off. Kind of just blinks

Technician's Assistant: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?

Samsung 50 in Smart TV. Work fine yesterday, started last night

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

It won't turn on to check.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Worked fine all day yesterday. Noticed it last night before bed that it was kind of blinking.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

Not sure. It's strange, never seen anything like this

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: TV
9/12/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 11 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What is the full model number off of the back of the Samsung set, and roughly how old is it please?

UN49KS8000FXZA it's a year old

Thanks for the reply and I'm unavailable by phone- website sends that offer automatically. I need to ask for some more info here:

1) Are you talking just UNDER a year? Just over a year? One year to the date?

2) When you say "blinks", do you mean the screen is blinking? Or the TV power light is blinking along with a click sound?

Please elaborate and we can proceed.

We bought it in June 2016. The Samsung emblem blinks on and off, while the red sensor does the opposite. The screen gets lighter, then dark. Never comes on. This is constant back and forth. It won't shut off or turn on.
There's no picture, only a lighter or dark screen

Thanks for the reply. Offhand this points to a premature Mainboard fault in the Samsung (and commonly requires replacement of that board to fix the issue).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Ok will try that. Ive pulled the power source. Question is where is the main power button.

Located on the lower left hand rear corner of the TV.

Must be blind. Don't see any power button in that area of the TV.

Check both lower rear corners and there should be a toggle button you push down on to power it on/off.

Checked both sides. Lower back left and right, and underneath both sides. I have no idea where the owners manual is either.

Please hang on.

I'm looking in the manual.....Turn the TV around, look closely at the lower left corner of the BACK of the TV. Do you see anything there at all??

No toggle or button but a small rectangle hole it looks like

Press in the middle of the rectangle hole for power.

Were you able to try those steps please?

I found a small needle nose plyer to stick in there and nothing seems to be happening. Tried a small screwdriver same result.
I appreciate your help. I'll go to best buy where i bought it tomorrow so they can show me the power button location, plus talk to them about this issue. Thought I could do something tonight. Thanks.
TV Technician: Josh, Technician replied 11 months ago
Josh, Technician

I apologize that you had to wait for a response.

Do you still need help with your issue?