hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Cable TV Installer
Experience:  State Of Hawaii Certified Cable TV installer
40928634

It has channels that have no sound, some are in spanish

Customer Question

It has channels that have no sound, some are in spanish although my setting is in English and some channels are like for the blind where a voice describes the scene
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And how long has this been happening with the channels?
Customer: the model # GV476L FHDTV10A and make is 47inch Vizio serial #LPHAEAH2176022
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Ive gone through the menu and it seems to work. I can put it on to watch a movie and that works.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It just started this weekend and nothing seemed to be wrong before this
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I called my cable company and he said it had to be something in the settings but I can't seem to find where to fix it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

- How do you receive channels on this TV?

via antenna or cable box?

Do you use cable remote to change channels?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
cable from outside the house not the box and I use cable remote to change channels
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no, typing is fine
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

This is confusing, if you use cable remote to change channels then there would be a cable box as well because cable remote works only with cable box for channel change. Please find the cable box hooked to TV and perform following test..

- Have you tried to disconnect TV and cable box power cords from power outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, let cable box reboot that may take several minutes and check?
If not yet, please try it now and reply back with the result

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

NOTE: Phone call or any other offer is automated and not sent by me. Feel free to ignore it if you prefer to troubleshoot the problem here in text chat.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have unhooked the cable from the back of the TV. Will let you know if anything changes when i hook it back up.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

Can you tell me where on TV that cable was plugged in?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Our cable box is on our TV downstairs and this is on the TV upstairs that you just screw the cable into the back of the TV. It doesn't work through the cable box on the TV.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is plugged into the DTV/TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

OK, then how do you use cable remote on this TV while cable box is placed downstairs?
I guess you would be using the remote that came with this TV to change channels, correct?
Also, can you please get me the complete model number off of TV? GV476L FHDTV10A seems invalid number.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
GV47L FHDTV10A I do use the remote that came with the tv
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

OK, working on it, give me couple of minutes please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

Please reset the TV and run channel setup again that might work to fix the problem.

Press Menu and go to Setup (gear icon) and select Reset All Settings option to reset the TV.

Now go to Tuner setup option (next icon) on menu and set Tuner mode to Cable.

Now go to Auto Search option located under the tuner mode option, run Auto Search so TV can scan all available channels over cable and let it finish the process. Now close the menu screen.

Now check the channels and reply back with the result.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok did all that and nothing has changed
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is anyone still there
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

Sorry to hear that, let me repost this question for other experts to assist you further

Expert:  hongkongpom replied 1 month ago.

Hello I need to get things clear in my mind about how your upstairs TV is connected. If you go to the cable box downstairs & unplug it from the electrical plug do you lose the TV picture upstairs & downstairs please?