TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I did a firmware update on my Samsung LN-T4661F and it is…

Customer Question
I did a firmware...

I did a firmware update on my Samsung LN-T4661F and it is screwed up. Was trying to figure out how to do a factory reset

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

07

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

LN-T4661FX/XAA

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

YES i CAN JUST READ IT

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

I DON'T THINK SO

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: TV
9/10/2017
TV Technician: Mike G., Technician replied 11 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....
Are you available to chat with me right now?

Please clarify what the symptoms are?

tv has no power

tv has no picture

tv has no sound

tv has no menu

Picture locks psychodelic after firmware upgrade
Looks

Do you have the Samsung remote? Can you pull up the menu? Is the menu clear or also affected?

I can just make out menu

Have you tried unplugging the tv POWER cord for 3 full minutes?

Did for one minute

Might try for a bit longer but I wouldn't count on that helping. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do in this case except replace the Main board in the tv. That's the board with all the audio/video jacks. I can help you find the board if you like but it might only be available used....

Because I did a firmware update from Samsung?
Restarting tv

Yes, sometimes it goes bad in that way...

Didn't help
There isn't a factory reset before 2008?

The only reset I know of is in the Service Menu but if you cannot see the menu...

I am able to make it out
I can see that a little better than actual broadcast

Oh, ok. Here's the thing. The Service Menu is very risky. There are many things that you can screw up in the Service Menu. AND I cannot tell you where in the Service Menu the Factory Reset is, YOU will have to find it (once you get into the Service Menu). So all of this is at your own risk...

Willing to take the risk

Also, there is a good chance doing the Factory Reset won't even help your situation... But here are the instructions to get into the Service Menu:

-turn off the tv

-point the Samsung remote at the tv

-press MUTE, 1,8,3

-the tv should turn on and there will be a complex menu on the screen

-move around in that menu looking for Factory Reset

Be aware when you press the RIGHT arrow, it is like pressing ENTER, it will initiate whatever is highlighted.

Didn't start

Try mute, 1, 8, 2, power

Nope

That's with the tv powered OFF and pointing the remote at the tv. Pressing the buttons quickly in succession.

Yep and watched red light flicker with each click fast and normal clicking

Sorry that is the proper code to get into the Service Menu.

Main board for this tv is on eBay for $40-$55

Just be very careful to get the correct board (there are a few different boards for this model and they are not interchangeable). Suggest you open the tv and get the numbers off your board BEFORE ordering something.

Really?

We've seen this many times before (not just Samsung)... Only fix is to replace the board that has the firmware on it.

Ok thanks

Apologies again for the bad news...

Ok I'll check it out. Picture looks as good as it did new

Ok. All the best.