TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

The picture on my vizier tv screen does not stretch from…

Customer Question
The picture on my...

The picture on my vizier tv screen does not stretch from edge to edge left to right. The picture is too small. I have Direct TV

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

Model E231i-B1 bought in 2015

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

The menu works. I have only the one input

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

I disconnected the HDMI cable and then connected it again

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: TV
9/10/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 11 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

This problem with the picture size could be coming from either the tv OR the box

Grab the directv box remote and look for a button that says ZOOM, ASPECT, WIDE, RATIO, SIZE, FORMAT, * OR # etc. On most dtv remotes it is the # or * key

You may need to press this several times to cycle through the different options,

and you may have to make a similar adjustment on the tv as well, until you get them both to a desired setting

typically you'd want the cable box set on 16:9 or Wide

and you'd want the tv set on Normal or 16:9

It can take a bit of fiddling to get them both matched up, but you should have a button for this function on both the tv remote and on the box remote, and will have to use both

I set the Vizio TV on 16:9. There is no # key or * key on the Direct TV remote.
TV Technician: Jack, Technician replied 11 months ago
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hi , I`m Jack , i see that you requested a new tech.

Which direct tv remote do you have , the black and silver "genie " remote or the one with a slide switch at the top ?

The black and silver "genie."

Try this ;

1. press the INFO button
2.Press the RIGHT ARROW to scroll through to Audio/Video
3.Press the DOWN ARROW to highlight “Change Resolution & Format,” then press SELECT to cycle through different screen formats.

I did that. Which option do I select?

Does the screen size change ?

Did you find the format and resolution option ?

The screen size changes but the received picture remains the same size.

Not sure i`m following you here

What do you see , bars at the top and bottom or on each sides ?

The received picture is the same width as before, but the black bars on the left and right now have clouds there.

Something not working correctly here , pull the power cords on both the direct tv box and tv for a minute and try it again

OK will write back when finished

Sure

Disconnected both. Attempted your suggestion. Same result

In that case i am out of idea except to say that either the tv or direct tv box is defective

I`ve never ever seen a functional setup that could not be adjusted

OK thanks anyway. If you think of anything later write me at***@******.*** and have a good day.

No problem and perhaps you could have the direct tv box replaced

Just tell them it has an intermittent problem like losing the picture so they wont fuss or charge you anything for a replacement and you will know then if the tv is indeed the problem or that box

If the tv then for a tv this size i would not recommend a repair shop but a new one

Either ways you got a fix

Let me know if you have questions and if not for now then PLEASE DO TAKE THE TIME TO RATE (stars above and submit), it does not cost you anything more and does not close this post while it gets me paid for my time helping you .

I figured it out. I went to Menu,picture,more picture,picture size and this time when I pressed the arrows to widen, it widened.
Before, pressing the arrows had no effect. Thanks for your efforts.

I assumed you had that one down correctly

As I said before there was no effect--it is fine now. Maybe communicating with you brought more logic to the situation. Wishing you well--the effect of Irma arrives here tomorrow so now I can be distracted properly. Thanks again. God bless you!

Much welcome and as I said , the rating doesn`t cost you anything more and I get paid for my time