TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I've got smart TV Sony xbr75x900e. I need to have ability to…

Customer Question
Hi. I've got smart TV...
Hi. I've got smart TV Sony xbr75x900e. I need to have ability to play 4k video from some shared place in my local network. How would you suggest to do that? I don't want to have my PC turned on 24/7. I think something like NAS
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: TV
play music from the same source using receiver Yamaha rx683v
9/10/2017
TV Technician: Kris8472,
 replied 11 months ago
Kris8472

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
Can you let me know when you're ready to look at this and we will make a start.
Thanks
Kris

Im ready
Do you have any suggestions?
TV Technician: Kris8472,
 replied 11 months ago

A NAS will work as it's local, are you doing this wired or wireless?

Wired
TV Technician: Kris8472,
 replied 11 months ago

Any NAS will work with an HDMI cable, connecting the TV to nas storage via ethernet will not be 4K though unless you get two supported devices.

Is a NAS with HDMI output an option, that would be, bar far, the easiest way./

How i can connect nas to my tv via hdmi?
I think I need that nas supports dlna because my tv uses dlna to play movies
I need the cheapest way to play 4k video from storage. Can you provide me some example devices?
TV Technician: Kris8472,
 replied 11 months ago

That's correct. Does your TV support DNLA?

it supports dlna
TV Technician: Kris8472,
 replied 11 months ago

https://www.synology.com/en-us

This is the range I user, the generally do not come with drives. From $100+

Can you have a look over and I can go more specific?

Can anybody help me?
TV Technician: James I, Engineer replied 11 months ago
James I
James I, Engineer

I would agree you need to use a NAS device supporting DNLA, having a HDMI support NAS is a non starter.

What is the size of storage your looking for, and do you have any redundancy\resilience requirements such as RAID?

I think 4Tb
I will use this storage for 4k films, and probably as a backup for my files, it's not permanent file storage, so I don't need raid

OK, I see your based in Ukraine, is this where you require the device to be delivered (just so I find one local to you, rather than one which will incur a load in postage.

I can get device from US, no problem, I just need not expensive solution, so what would you suggest?

From a budget end I would suggest something like the Buffalo 200 series NAS, it comes in a 4TB config and support up two 4 DLNA streaming devices and comes with apps for ios and android, in addition to backup apps for windows.

You can source it locally here or from the UK a lot cheaper here.

The manufacture model number is LS210D0401-EU

does it support streaming of 4k videos?

Yes, the current DLNA protocol will support it, your limitations will be your network not the NAS.

do I need transcoding on the fly feature to stream 4k?

This would all be handled at the client end (your TV), providing the data source is compatible the NAS doesn't really come into it other than 1 supporting DLNA and 2 having sufficient read speed to cope with the demand.