Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I can't get the ARC to bring sound from my Sony Bravia X800E

Customer Question

I can't get the ARC to bring sound from my Sony Bravia X800E to my Linn Majik DSM/3
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: Sony X800E, 2017
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: No, only on this one. The TV menu is fine
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I bought the TV last night and it's been a problem ever since :)
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I've got the HDMI ARC mode on on my majik DSM
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Which port are you using on the majik to connect to the tv? Which port on the tv?
What is the complete model number of the tv?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm using the HDMI 3 port on my TV (the one that says ARC on it), and the HDMI OUT on the Linn Majik DSM. The TV is a SONY BRAVIA XBR-55X800E
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No call. Prove that you know what the problems may be.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also I have the TV set to PCM
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

I'm not asking you to call. You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That link you texted me didn't work.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

The pcm setting is not the primary issue here, it is a hdmi communication issue. It may be possible for these to work together, hdmi arc does not always work, especially with mixing brands and off brand systems. What you can try however is going into the tv sound menu and making sure the tv speakers are set to off/external/theater to see if the tv can detect the majik as an external device there. If it is recognized, then the arc can work. If it is not, then they aren't going to be able to talk to each other, at least not over hdmi. You can still keep the hdmi there as an output for the other devices you are passing through the receiver, but you'd then need to add a separate optical cable from the tv back to the receiver to pick up that audio. The audio quality and signal are identical between them, both are digital and other than control commands which generally won't work with non sony devices anyway, there is nothing missing by using optical instead.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It doesn't recognize my Linn at all, the option it shows is just for "audio system".
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you think it won't work, I suppose.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The guy at Best Buy told me that as long as my Linn has ARC, it would work.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for checking,

that is correct, if it isn't detected there, it can't be identified as a secure audio output device, and it won't send sound to it, at least not via hdmi. This is pretty normal for this type of system. If it was a sony soundbar or receiver, you'd have no problem, they just don't play nice with other devices as well as their own.

So using the optical cable instead (or in addition) would be the workaround connection here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

The sales people at best buy are not correct, they are trying to make a sale, they are not trained on the specifics of every device and are not techs, just sales people.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok good to know. Thanks.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

You're very welcome and best of luck!

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm also getting pop-ups on this thing saying the HueyModule has stopped working. Do you know what is going on? Should I do anything?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
34;This thing" being the Sony TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Are you sure it says "hueymodule"?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

just want to make sure that wasn't a typo for hdmi or something else

that is an error related to the android operating system on the tv,

it most likely just needs a firmware update,

so you need to have the tv linked up to your home wifi network then from the sony menu you should have a software update option to prompt it to check for and install the latest version

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How much is this costing me?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

The amount you agreed to on the payment page when posting your question.

We're all independent techs here, I can't see any of the billing or account info.

Did you need anything else?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Do you need more help with this?