TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My tv keeps turning off on its own, Lc32sb24u, The menu

Customer Question
My tv keeps turning...

My tv keeps turning off on its own

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

Lc32sb24u

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

The menu works but it doest give me enough time to navigate it it turns off within seconds

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Few days, I turn it on and it turns right back off

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: TV
9/9/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 11 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2008 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is 2-3 times its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $200 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

No

I don't know what you are saying no to.

My friend I'm sorry I took up your time I don't have 26 bucks to give you I just thought that my friend knew somebody else there was talking to somebody he knew I didn't know it was website of some sort of chat site I don't know anything about these things but my TV turns on turns off and it's not working and we'll figure it out and thank you for your time and sorry to bug you

I'm not asking you to pay more,

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

I sent you a detailed answer above explaining the problem and what you can try to attempt to correct it.