TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My google fiber remote can turn off and on and the volume…

Customer Question
My google fiber remote...

My google fiber remote can turn off and on and the volume works but can't change the channel.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

Samsung UN46H6201. About 4 years old

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

No, only volume works

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It's on a TV we haven't used for about two months in a vacation home

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: TV
9/9/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 11 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

If you press the channel buttons on the google fiber cable box, does that work to change through the channels?

No

Okay that would indicate a box issue then, not a tv issue or a remote issue.

The channels come from the box itself.

Unplug the power cord to the google fiber set top box, wait 5 minutes, replug, give it another 5 minutes to start up, then let me know if the channels work at that point.

Tried that already, didn't work

That is a box issue then, so as a next step you'd need to call your cable provider (google cable) and they would need to replace the box for you as it has an internal defect. It was likely damaged by a power surge or similar electrical issue while you were away.

Ok

Thank you, ***** ***** of luck. Once you get the replacement box (they will usually just ship one to you) you'll just swap out the old one using the same connections and the old remote should work on the new box as well.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,