TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Louie! The tv is fine but my Visio remote will not control…

Customer Question
Hi Louie! The tv...

Hi Louie! The tv is fine but my Visio remote will not control my new Spectrum cable box. The mfg name of the cable box is Technicolor. I used to have DirecTV and it worked with the satellite receiver just fine. Any suggestions?

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Vizio is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It was one of the first smart tvs made. The user manual says: SV472XVT.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

No, menu doesn't work but I can change inputs.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Until this afternoon I had Directv and they completed the conversion to Sapectrum (Time Warner Cable, formerly) today.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I'm aware of now,but will answer any questions he or she may have. Thanks!

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: TV
9/9/2017
TV Technician: Louie, Technician replied 11 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the "...new Spectrum cable box..."

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

Don't see a model number but the front say Technicolor The only other number is ***** HDC.
Some online research says this is a Cisco product.

Appreciate the additional informtation.

Let's try an experiment...or even if just for test puprposes.

Do this with both the Vizio and the cable box remote controls.

This is a partial test to confirm if both remotes. With fresh batteries correctly installed, point the remote towards the lens of an active digital camera. For every press of any/all button(s) on the remote, there should be a bright light that would register on the LCD screen of the camera. No light, no infrared transmission from the remote; remote most likely faulty.
On the otherhand, if the remote is good, then consider a possible IR sensor hardware concern in the unit itself or a compatibility issue.
Perhaps the video HERE may shed insight.
Please post back results of the camera test.

Both remotes pass the test. They're fine.
I am searching for a compatible brand on the cable boxes selection list but don't see Cisco or Technicolor. Just need to know if there is a brand of cable box in the list that is compatible.

IF both remotes tested good, THEN it would appear to be a compatibility issue.

Have you tried the other way around; i.e. the Cisco remote to control the Vizio TV?

that works but I want to use my Visio remote. The other remote will be used across the room.

As posted above, a most likely compatibility issue then and there is no workaround.

A potential solution would be to use an aftermarket remote. Would this serve your purpose?

Nope.

Unfortunately, there is no likely solution.

Well that didn't turn out like I hoped.

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.

10-4. Have a good evening.

Copy; likewise.