Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Snowy screen when i first turn on the TV. It is a plasma TV.

Customer Question

JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: Can I find that info without taking it off the wall?
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Yes, It is hooked to Direct TV and after changing channels it clears up and works fine.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just a couple of days. No storms or power surges that I know of. Worked normal one night and this started the next day.
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, Just wondering if the TV is fixing to go out.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

What is the model number from the back of the tv?
Does the snow go away after a bit and return to normal? How is the directv box connected to the tv?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can't take the off the wall by myself. It is an LG Plasma. It is connected to the Direct box via an HDMI cable which I have changed out. Yes it clears up and works perfectly after a few seconds and channel.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Do you ever have any issues with any other device like dvd, games, apps, etc?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, nothing else is hooked to the TV.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There was pressure on the old HDMI cable and I wonder if it has messed up the HDMI connection in the TV
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The weight of the TV pressing on the cable. The connection is on the back at the bottom of the TV.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

That is a possibility, but it could also be a directv box issue,

would you be able to test something else by temporarily connecting a dvd etc to the tv?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Also when you changed the cable, did you change to a different hdmi port as well?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just changed it to a different port. May be the box. I'll call and get a new box sent out.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still has the same issue on the new port
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for checking,

if you can test something else, that would help narrow it down, otherwise having the box replaced would be the next step,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

and if it happens with a new box (or dvd, roku, etc) too, then it is a main board issue in the tv. If it is working ok now it may just be a glitch in the boot up, but typically with plasmas that is something that will decline further until it doesn't work at all. If it is a plasma, it would be at least 5 years old at this point, which is already past its service life, so it would not be worth repairing, it would make more sense to replace it with new LED tv that will likely cost you less than repairs.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.