Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Nothing! Grandkid messed about with remote and TV screen

Customer Question

Nothing! Grandkid messed about with remote and TV screen says "MHEG only"! Can't get it to do anything.
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: Toshiba 26AV505D
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: NO
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Programmes all seem to be scrambled, couldn't get BBC1, ITV or anything I recognised. Kid had run remote battery down to zero. New batteries in now but not helping.
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so, just trying to get tv back to where it was before 2 year old got it!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, have you tried unplugging the TV for an extended period of time?

...and then plugging back in directly into a different outlet?

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've just unplugged TV now. The cables won't reach a different socket, but I've checked my phone charger and other items work ok from this socket, so the socket seems ok. I'll leave the TV unplugged for a bit and try again. How long do you think I should leave it?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My phone numbers don't fit the spaces! I'm on uk land line 01462 892682 or mobile 07837 929158
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your kind understanding of automated-systems / machine-generated followups, ads & offers.

The longer the better. The idea is to simulate a soft RESET and dissipate residual power.