TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I'm trying to turn on my TV it stays on for about five

Customer Question
Hello so I'm trying...

Hello so I'm trying to turn on my TV it stays on for about five minutes and then turns off I try to turn it back on and it doesn't even show any pictures it just turns off

Technician's Assistant: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?

No never b4, it started this morning. It's a Zenith 65 in plasma TV

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Model is z50pj240-ub

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Let me check

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

This issue just started this morning just before I went to work and then I came home and it happened again I tried unplugging it from the wall and trying to see if it was hot but it's not it's a little warm but not unusual

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
9/9/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 8 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

When the set shuts down, does the power light start blinking? Also when did this issue occur- were there any storms or power outages just prior to this?

Hello, so the issue started this morning, how we get the TV turned on again is by unplugging it for a couple of minutes and then plug it back in and it turns off in like 2 to 3 minutes and no it does not blink when it turns off

Thank you for the reply. We often see these sets develop faults after a few years, and in most cases it requires replacement of a component (the Power Supply Board being the most common).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Ok not working
I tried it 4x

Alright, I'm sorry to hear that, and unfortunately that's all you can try on a user level. The TV would need to be exchanged through the retailer within the 30 day grace period as it's defective I'm afraid. Do keep in mind that if you wait beyond the 30 days (45 through some retailers) that you will then be left with sending the TV out to Samsung for warranty repairs.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix. Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Please disregard the part about sending the TV back- that was for another customer's question.

This is an older Zenith Plasma- not the newer Samsung LED the other customer has- my apologies. That said, does the TV click and does the screen light up- even for a second please?

Lol its ok, the bottom right light is on

Thank you. Unfortunately if it still doesn't power up- it's not a setting or adjustment issue, and it does mean that something internal is preventing it from powering up. On Plasma sets (especially when they get on in years), it's commonly either the Sustain boards, or the High Voltage output on the power supply board that fails first- as it incurs the most heat and wear within the set. That said, were you looking to attempt a DIY repair, or were you looking for a repair estimate and service locator?

Oh now i understand your question. Yes it does

Alright, does the screen appear normal and clear while it's on?

Another question, i have spectrum tv services my spectrum box doesnt turn off it just my tv, don u think its spectrum or the tv?
how can i cancel this?? I only wanted to ask about the tv. Only want them to charge me this one time. Thank u
its sounds clear and looks good
When its on
Hello u there
TV Technician: Josh, Technician replied 8 months ago
Josh, Technician

I apologize for the long wait.

Do you still need help with your issue?

Josh, Technician