Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a great picture but no sound. Volume is at max. I

Customer Question

I have a great picture but no sound. Volume is at max. I checked to see if it was on HDMl/Auto and it was. What else can I do?
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: it is about 8 years old. Worked fine this morning.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: just checked--yes
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It worked this morning. About 3:15, I turned it on and couldn't get sound.To my knowledge this has not been a problem before. I did try the manual volume on the bottom of the flat screen, but all I did switch the source to video--got it back on TV
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The PVR box went off briefly (blue light) and I turned it back on. I also checked to see if it was muted--was not. Have been looking at trouble shooting and FAQ--that's how I knew to check the Audio (I had pressed that earlier a couple of times).
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry you're having trouble with it, I need more info to troubleshoot the problem.
1- Could you please get me the complete model number written on back cover or side panel of TV?
2- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry I haven't used this surface before and was expecting an email--
1. It is a Samsung TV model #UN32D40038D manufactured in 2011.
2. we have Shaw Cable which uses a PVR digital box. There is a DVD player connected. I don't know if the others work--I do know that the blue light is on the digital box and it means it is working. I do not know how to go to PVR, Haven't used the DVD in a long time --don't know how to use it. My husband usually deals with all of this.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't want to spend more money--think it is best that I call someone to come out or take my TV in for repair. I thought the $51 fee would cover the consult, not that I would need to then pay an extra 30-40 for phone calls. I am sure that it will eventually end with "your TV is too old, or you better have someone come to service it.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you there?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I thought you were connected with my Shaw Cable service--it looks like it is an entirely different company. Am I correct?