TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV thinks it has internet connection and pop-up every minute…

Customer Question
TV thinks it has...

TV thinks it has internet connection and pop-up every minute to tell me the connection is broken. It thinks it is wired but it is not. How can I get the pop-ups to stop.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

Model number UN46C6500VFXZA, 7 YEARS

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Have two TVs and this one is acting up. Went to menu, and internet thinks it is wired and I can not change that.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

I got a net internet provider yesterday and it started then.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
9/8/2017
TV Technician: Pete, Electronic Engineer replied 8 months ago
Pete, Electronic Engineer
Is there a cable connected to the wired internet connection on the TV? If so, try disconnecting it.
How far away is the router from the TV?
No cable that end of house. Three rooms - about 60 feet.

Have you checked the rear of the TV to ensure something has not been plugged into it?

Can you try moving the TV closer to the router to test if it works there?

There is nothing plugged in to the TV. It is a big screen TV and mounted on the wall. The TV works fine, I don't want the pop ups.

To turn off pop ups, go to Settings - System Setup and set Ticker Autorun to Off.

Can not find Settings

What options do you see when you press the Menu button?

Mode, STS Sound,antenna, plug &a play, source list, content view, legal notice. Antenna is dark and can not go there

Ok, I am not familiar with that particular menu setup. Let me check with the other techs...

TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, do you still need help with this?

Do you see NETWORK anywhere in the menu list? Note you should be looking with the Samsung remote's menu button (not cable/sat remote)

Under Plug & Play, there is a Network, in the Network, there is Network Type (wired), Ne
Network setup and Network
Network test

Okay please run the network test and let me know the results.

If it shows as not connected, then go back to network type and change it to wireless (you'll need to choose your home wifi network name and put in your wifi password).

I can not change Network type. The wired has red box around it and nothing I do will change it.

Okay please go into the settings menu, under support/help, and look for the Factory Reset (restore defaults) option and select that, then let me know what happens after that process is completed.

As it is resetting the pop ups continue as if watching TV.. on TV menu there is no reset buttons. The Dir. TV reset did not fix the problem.

If you unplug power to your cable/satellite box, and just leave the tv on (even if you get a blue screen or no signal message) does that popup continue?

it does.

Directv reset is not the same thing, you need to do the factory reset in the tv settings menu

I unplug TV as well, plugged TV back and no pop ups, plugged Dri TV in and pop up are back,
If I mute the TV, pop ups stop.

Okay that changes things a bit from what you mentioned earlier.

Unplug both again for a few minutes

replug tv only (or better yet, put it on something other than directv, like dvd) and leave it that way for a good 15+ minutes to observe, try putting it on mute as well, do the popups come back? Leave the directv completely unplugged during this time.

TV plugged in for 15 minutes, no pop ups.

Do you mean directv unplugged? nothing can pop up on the tv screen if the tv itself is physically unplugged or powered off.

Power on TV for 15 minutes with no pop ups. Dri TV still unplugged,

Thank you for confirming,

so that indicates at this point that it is a directv issue, not a samsung issue,

your main dtv box or "genie" usually needs a connection to your router. If the main genie (the largest of your receivers) is in another room, go unplug that for 5+ minutes and test again. If you still have the issue, then you'll next need to call directv and they will either have to replace the receiver or send a tech out to work on it for you.

Thank you,

Thank you Nathan, I will switch receivers and see if the problem follows the receiver. I will have to do that tomorrow and let you know.
You’re very welcome, and good luck!
I just switched receivers and pop up stayed on the same TV it has always been on. That show it must be the TV???

How long was it before that happened? It is possible, but unusual if you had no popups at all with the other box disconnected.

When you moved the old box to the other tv, any pop ups in the other room?

No, after 30 minutes still no pop ups. Plug other receiver to the one with pop up, they started with in 1 minute.

But if you disconnect the receiver entirely, there are no issues at all?

It last three to four minutes then stops.

Okay that still means there may be an issue with the satellite box,

but it does also open up the the possibility of a tv issue, even if it is an intermittent one.

We will need to again try going into the samsung menu and running the factory reset option from there. It should be under the Advanced section of the menu, and then called Restore Factory Defaults.

I can not find reset or restore in TV menu
It is in the Samsung menu under Advanced. You have to use the Samsung remote for that. If you don’t see it there look for plug and play and then from there for an Initial Setup option.
Plug & play does not have Initial Setup Option

There should be an option under plug and play to restart the setup process, that is what you are looking for.

I went to Tools on Samsung Remote and turned off Demo. Problem solved.

That is exactly what I was trying to get you to, the demo mode would have been addressed during the factory reset process, after setting it again, the first things it asks you for is the use mode (home or demo).

Nathan, Installer