TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Red light on wont change to blue by manual on button or

Customer Question
Red light on wont...

Red light on wont change to blue by manual on button or remote button

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

X505bv about 2 years old

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

No

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Today worked fine last night would not turn on today

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/7/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 11 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Offhand these symptoms typically indicate a faulty Mainboard in the TV, and in some cases can require replacement of the Mainboard to fix the issue.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Tried it twice and still stays red

Okay please give me a minute to post the answer.

Can't afford to spend more. Please let me know what to try next

I'm not asking for the phone call- the site sends that automatically. As I said- please give a minute to post the answer.

If you're still having the same problem, then unfortunately this indicates the set's Mainboard has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. The part is available at the link below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCEPTRE-X505BV-FMDR-Main-Board-V500HJ1-PE8-T-RSC8-A2-/151268965931?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?