TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

The power turns on,the screen shows nothing. the model no is…

Customer Question
The power turns on,the...

The power turns on,the screen shows nothing.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?

The model no is UN50H5203AF

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

It doesn't work

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

This happens two days ago, we wipe the TV and after that this happened

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think this is a water damage because we did not really wipe it with water

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/7/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 11 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Do you see a solid or flashing light on front? Do you get sound from the tv speakers still?
How exactly did you clean it?

The screen gets brighter when I turn on the TV but nothing displayed on the screen, I can still hear the sound. We use a wet cloth to wipe the outside of the TV but it was not a watery cloth.

Thank you for confirming,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, since it has happened immediately after cleaning and because it was a "wet" clean, that really does point to lcd panel damage. Though it may not have been dripping wet, any amount of moisture, especially if it was a solvent type (like windex) getting down into the bottom edge of the screen where the panel tab bond connections are will quickly corrode and short out those connections, which is not repairable, this is permanent damage which cannot be fixed without replacing the entire screen assembly. That type of repair is not feasible, as the cost of the part is 80% or more of the value of the tv, and then would be several hundred more in labor costs to have the old tv electronics (which may have damage too) stripped down and rebuilt around a new panel.

Just to be sure though, here is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. At that point the tv is not going to be feasible to fix and buying a new tv is really the only practical option.

My apologies for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.