TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

We have a philips DVD player and the drawer will not open to…

Customer Question
We have a philips...

We have a philips DVD player and the drawer will not open to put in the disc, what do I do?

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Philips is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It is model # BDP2105, serial # KX1 A1322438990. Purchased on 7/25/2013

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

TV works and the DVD player sounds like it is trying to open but does not

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

We have not used it often but the last time we did use it it eventually did open. That was a few months ago

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: TV
9/3/2017
TV Technician: Electrotech2017, Technician replied 9 months ago
Electrotech2017
Electrotech2017, Technician
Hello my name is ***** ***** I'm happy to assist you with your DvD player issue
In most cases this issue is caused by a worn out loading belt which need to be replaced.
You would have to open the top and possible remove the front cover if possible. On the underside of the unit, towards the front of where the CD Drive is, there is a slot, about 2 inches long and about 5mm wide. If you look closely you can see a white lever in there which can be moved from left to right with a cocktail stick - this opens the door. The player has to be plugged in and turned on for it to work. Once the tray opens you can unplug it and try to remove the belt and replace.
In addition make sure that the unit has the latest firmware, which sometimes can lock up the unit.
Philips only list the entire BD Drive mechanism as a replacement part. The belt needs to be matched up once removed. Labor and parts should be around $50.