Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

This is about a &O BeoVision 4. The screen has gone blank in

Hi. This is about a B&O BeoVision 4. The screen has gone blank in TV mode. Audio is okay. Screen and audio perfectly fine in DVD mode. Component output from DTV confirmed on smaller screen TV.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: That was in my first message. It is a B&O BeoVision 4, purchased on Sep 10, 2007. Has worked perfectly fine until yesterday.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Yes, I can get the menu to display fine. DVD player is the only other source and it works fine, both audio and video.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Only an issue about 24 hours ago. I had a DirecTV tech here. When he left, all was working good. On the DTV received I had looked at settings and in doing so, I put the receiver into Native mode (didn't know what that was). Screen went immediately blank. I was not able to undo it until I put the DTV receiver into a smaller flatscreen. That worked and I turned native back off, but when feeding signal into the BeoVision, I still have a dark screen.
JA: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: You have all the facts.

Hello
My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with this.
A few questions coming up and please note that there may be delays between replies if i have to gather various info .
Also ,If you seem to lose me during the chat then refresh your browser (F5 key) and /or scroll down to the last written line at the bottom , that window seem to get stuck at times .
Please send me a hello so i know you can see my reply ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Jack. I'm ready to follow your directions. My name is Alan.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let's try it this way before resorting to phone. I"ve used the service before on resolving other issues.

Hi Alan

First thing here is this;

Pull the cable box`s power cord off the wall outlet (cable box only) for a minute.
In the mean time turn off the tv and turn it back on only after you plug back the cable box power cord.
Note that it may take a couple of minutes for it to reboot after you plug it back ,just give it time.

Observe the tv screen while it reboots
If you received a phone offer or any offers they are automated by the website ,NOT BY ME , I`m an independent tech. and have no control over those.
They are optional and you can just decline if you don`t want them

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sounds good. I will report back after the reboot.

No problem

Got anything ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sorry for the delay. Had to take a call. Okay, followed the direction. It is a DirecTV receiver, not a cable box, but they behave pretty much the same. Unplugged, then TV off, one minute, plugged DTV back in. Turned on TV, blank screen throughout the boot process. I know the DTV finished because audio came back on after about 5 minutes, but nothing on the screen. Stayed blank.

Does your B&O have hdmi ?

Could not find a manual for it by the way

Why do you use component anyway ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No HDMI. I believe that connectivity came out just after the BeoVision 4. The component output is the only option. No S video option on the interface. Just component on the DTV receiver and into the 4. It has always worked fine for me. Try here: https://www.manualslib.com/brand/bang-and-olufsen/tv.html

HDMI/DVI came out in 2003

I`m surprised your B&O does not have it if it is 2007

But then again I`m sure it has more than one component input does it ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good point. Probably why I got it on sale. I knew very little about the evolution of TV back then.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a Blu-ray hooked up to it. The audio and video show up fine when in that mode, so I know the screen itself is fine.

Try your cable box instead of the blueray for a test , something is odd here

I meant in place of the blueray `s input

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay...that'll take a few minutes.

Take your time

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still working on it. Major production to access the back of the BeoSystem (controls all the inputs).

O.k

May be easier by the way to take it off the back of the dvd and connect it in the direct tv ??

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Jack. It is way more complicated than I thought. The Blu-ray goes into the System on S-video. There is a video only input with right and left audio on the same input. So I disconnected the S-video and confirmed the video only input worked out of the Blu-ray. It does, so then I moved the cable to the DTV box. It did not work. What is weird is that the component video going into the small TV works. I think I'm going to need a B&O tech to come out unless you've figured out something from the manual.

If you got Svideo on your dvdto connect to the tv then forget it and yes I would need to be there myself , no manual for this and I`m thinking that your tv is much older than 2007 if it has no hdmi input and has Svideo from the 80`s , I mean B&O always have been on top of their game and in 2007 even the cheapest sanyo or polaroid tv had hdmi

Sorry but this is not going to work and I will step out

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay, thanks for trying Jack. All the best. Alan.

By the way , the svideo connection is composite

Not component so unlss you can make something work on it component then your TV's main board just failed

If that answer your question then PLEASE DO TAKE THE TIME TO RATE by clicking on the star icons at the top of your page, then click on Submit , it doesn`t cost you anything more and I get paid for my time helping you .

Thank you very much