TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Picture stopped working, sound still okay, I shone a torch

and it appears the picture...
picture stopped working, sound still okay, I shone a torch and it appears the picture is there but is not illuminated
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: bush dled32165hddvd probably 2.5 to 3 years old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: no picture from any input
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: 3 days - picture just disappeared while I was watching
JA: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, thanks
8/23/2017
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

These symptoms indicate that the backlights in the screen are no longer firing up and this is often due to a failed power supply/LED driver in the set. In most cases this requires replacement of this board to fix the issue.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up. The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.
still no picture, nor sound
The sound would only be off because the sets input changed. Shine a torch back on the screen and press menu on the TV remote, still a shadow image behind the screen?
the menu is just visible with the torch
Thank you. This does mean with certainty that the backlights are not powering up, and there are no pushbutton fixes for that I'm afraid. In most cases the power supply / led board has failed and needs to be replaced, but we are also seeing failures of the led strips in the screen itself being a very common fault in these sets. On a user level, the only shot at repairs would be to search used/pulled parts supplies for the power board and replace it in the hopes that this fixes the issue. If it does not, then the screen lighting is faulty and the set would be seemed not repairable I'm afraid.
Aric, Technician
Aric, thanks for your help and advice, I'll have a look for replacement board cheers
Aric, Technician