TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

It powers up but I get no picture. Samsung model

Hi. It powers up...
Hi. It powers up but I get no picture.
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: Samsung model PN60E530A3FXZA
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: 2012 model. It's not a source problem, it's in the TV.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: The problem was intermittent for a while, progressively got worse and then it wouldn't turn on at all.
JA: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm technically competent, have had the TV apart and tried to troubleshoot based on some things I found online, with no success. No evidence of blown capacitors. I'm looking for help identifying which board is bad so I can order the replacement part.
8/23/2017
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

- Do you get sound from TV speakers?

- Does screen glow/ light up even for a second when turn On TV power?

Hi Shahid.
Unfortunately I cannot comment about the sound because I was using the TV as a display only, with sound on TV turned off, using my AV receiver for sound and video signal to TV via HDMI coming from receiver.
With no picture, I can't get into the menu to try to turn the TV speakers back on ....
I will test it to see if I get any glow, but I don't think so. One moment please.

OK, please take your time, no rush

No sign of an initial glow when I power it up.
The standby light blinks several times .... I believe the # of blinks indicates a code. I'm going to repeat 2X to count the # of blinks.

Well, actually standby flashing on Samsung TV doesn't show any error code nor Samsung have provided any info for it so all it helps is to know that TV has hardware related failure.

Definitely no sign of the plasma display trying to come on.
The red standby light blinks 6 times. I repeated that 3X and it was exactly the same each time.
OK. So I'm trying to know which board(s) to replace.
Power Supply?
X-Sustain?
Y-Sustain?
Logic?

We need to use multimeter at this point to verify Va and Vs volts on test points on power supply board of TV. Expected volts would be around 200V DC and 60V DC when turn On TV power.

can you check those volts?

Can you help me troubleshoot that?
I would need to purchase a meter. I could go to the store and get one in 15 -20 min. Does that work for you? (Lowes Home Improvement is right around the corner).

It could be Y-main/sustain and/or power supply or main board.

Please click following link to view power board image and check top left and top center for Va and VS test points to check/ measure volts..

http://assets.shopjimmy.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/f8f28dc4a19c21aeb55ee5774693fb5d/s/h/shopjimmy-bn44-00512a-top_1.jpg

No problem, take your time to get the meter to continue.

I'm a retired engineer ... technically competent not afraid to do this, but I don't have a meter here.
Hello Shahid, I'm back. I purchased the DMM.
Please allow me a few moments to open the package and install batteries ...
Meanwhile, one question. Will I measure these voltages with X and Y sus boards connected, or should I disconnect them?

Please measure volts with both boards connected, we will disconnect one board at a time depending on the test result.

OK, finally ready. Sorry for the delay.
My Power Supply board matches the image.
I can see VS TP, having trouble finding VA TP.
I'm going to measure these with Common for DMM contacting the TV chassis, correct?

Correct, Va TP is also marked with yellow arrow in that image

I found it. I was looking Top Left, but it's Top Right.
Can I use the screws attaching the board to the TV frame as ground?

My mistake, should have type top right, sorry -:)

Ok, VS is 22V, VA is 0V

OK, please take volts reading while pushing power button on TV to switch it On.

Those were with TV on. However, I had the meter on AC, not DC. (I bought a cheap one with bad markings!)
DC VS is 10V, VA is 0V.
I will turn it off and verify.

OK, that readings will hep to diagnose the issue

TV Off, VS was 3V, drifting down to 2V. VA is still 0V
I will repeat with TV on.

OK, fingers crossed

Similar result.
VA still zero. VS initially ~ 50V, drifting down steadily to ~ 34V.
Vs is now 10V
My TV appears to have power from PS to X-Sus, then X-Sus to Y-Sus.
Should I power down and disconnect those?

OK, it seems power supply board is defective and it could happen due to shorted out y-main/ sustain board as well so I will order both boards to replace them at same time.

X-SUS board wont go out mostly but Y-SUS found bad which is common with plasma TVs. Please check with following board supplier to get required replacement boards or search/ google it to get better price info..

http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung/pn60e530a3fxza

I hope these info will help. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page so I can get credit of my work on website.
Thank you.

I've been looking at getting these boards from Shop Jimmy. This is exactly the help I needed. Thank you!You've been very helpful!Is there a way that I can reach you again if I continue to have trouble once I have the new boards?

Yes, login to Justanswer.com and click on MY Questions link on top right of page OR click on link in email notification sent by Justanswer.com to open this chat thread for any follow up question or save this page link and open it up any time later.

Thanks.

Shahid
Shahid, Technician
I'm going to give you a 5-star review! Thanks again! Good job!
thank you so much for your patience! I'm sure you're multi-tasking and working with other people at the same time, but I appreciate your patience all the same.

Thank you, ***** ***** the best~

Shahid
Shahid
Shahid, Technician