TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My Pioneer Plasma Display System (PRO-930HD Elite) will turn…

My Pioneer Plasma Display...

My Pioneer Plasma Display System (PRO-930HD Elite) will turn off shortly after power button is turned on. Blue light comes on for a matter of seconds before standby blinking red light goes on. The red light blinks for 10 times before it pauses and then resumes blinking for another 10 times.

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Pioneer is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Probably 12 years old. It's a 43 inch Display Model:PRO-436PU

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Not sure I can see a TV menu without plasma displaying?

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Has been going on for about 2 days. Would work for a while (i.e., 25mins) before turning off yesterday. Today nothing.

8/22/2017
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Offhand, are you 100% sure that the blink code is 10, and not 8 or 12- can you double check please?

Blink code is a 10 count - confirmed.

Thank you. This is a bit more rare that other Pioneer codes. Can you get me the model number off of the back of the Plasma monitor itself (not the Media Receiver)? Also, is the light blinking on the Media receiver, or the display panel itself?

Model = PRO-436PU
Media receiver displays solid red standby light
blinking light is on panel itself.

Thank you. I'm going to give you some steps to try and in the meantime I'm going to try and dig up the service manual.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Have already done this 3 times based on your exact recommendations to another customer found on the website.
Simply goes from blue light to blinking red within 3-5 seconds
OK I'll wait for additional info!

Okay I have no way of knowing that unless you post it here. Is there anything else you've tried before we proceed?

Nothing additional beyond the standard power down for minutes (and overnight) before powering back up. Checked all wires/attachments to make sure none are loose.

Here's the 10 blink cvode: X-DCDC 50 (43) X DRIVE Assy
VRN OVP VRN DC/DC IC1403, IC1404
VRN UVP VRN DC/DC IC1402, IC1403, IC1404
X SUS BLOCK Q1205, R1226, R1251

It translates to the X Sustain/X Drive having faulty components. This can be caused directly by those boards failing- or any impact or crack in the screen will also cause it. Has the set ever been impacted, and has it ever had this fault before?

Are you still there?

We did have it shipped with furniture when we moved 3 years ago but it has been working like a charm. No trauma to the screen at all.

I understand, I was just checking to see if that was a possible cause. That said, are you looking to repair this yourself? Or are you looking to see what this will cost and a link to a service locator?

I have been in touch with someone who would take a look at it but my choices out here in Oahu are limited. I'd be willing to mess with it a bit if I could save a substantial amount of $$. I did see some of the posts suggesting taking the back off the TV and locating the board for possible replacement with used/new board which might be ordered online. My wife and I have really enjoyed the TV for the past 12 years and would like to squeeze a bit more out of it before scrapping it.

Okay, I'm checking to see if there are parts available.

Right on!

Okay the X Main needs to be replaced, and that is at the link below for $50, but additionally the X drive also needs to be replaced (these work in tandem), and I'm not able to locate that part yet (still looking though):

http://www.shopjimmy.com/pioneer-awv2255-x-main-board.htm

Cool!

Okay there's actually good news here! The X drive, is part of the X main and so that part above is the only one you'll need to replace according to the service manual.

Yaaay! Is there any manual I might be able to glimpse at to achieve this goal.

Nothing that shows you how to access and replace the board, the service manual is a tech flowchart- it does not show any disassembly. You can YouTube videos to see how to replace a Sustain board though? The procedure is the same for all Plasma TV's.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Aric, Technician
OK thank you for all of your assistance - very much appreciated!
Aloha,
Ed

A colleague of mine also informed me to remind you of the trap switch, it's a switch that puts the TV into protect mode when the rear cover is removed. I am pulling up info for that now.

Jack
Jack, Technician

Its near the power plug and you need to tape it down or do not plug in the power cord with the cover remove , re-install it before trying it

Thanks Jack- much appreciated!

In other words remove power plug from TV before taking off rear cover and do not plug back into power until the cover has been replaced?

That's correct.

Mahalo!

Sorry, I meant to reply back- you're very welcome! The site opted me out by mistake.

Aric, Technician