TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a printer question..you helped us with our TV do you…

I have a printer question..you...
I have a printer question..you helped us with our TV do you also do printer wireless connections to a computer?
8/21/2017
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Yes, I can certainly help you with that, can you tell me more about the problem?

Our daughter installed the wireless printer about a month ago...she lives in Italy and has gone back home. About 3 days ago the printer stopped printing from the computer..it still seems to be able to print copies and the rest of the things it is supposed to do. I receive a message on my computer that the printer is not connected to the internet...I have looked everywhere I can think of but cannot find out how to connect it and naturally nothing comes with a printed manual anymore.
Am I supposed to do something else before I hear more from you..I know you are busy with others too but I am always afraid that you are gone.

My apologies for the delay. I didn't see your first message come through,

Do you know the model number of the printer?
Do you see a wifi icon/logo on the printer display (looks like cell phone bars or radio/antenna waves)? If so, is it lit/flashing?

It is an HP Envy 7645 and there is a little light similar to what you are talking about but it is on and not flashing

So it is lit solid? What color?

blue

Okay that should mean that it is connected then.

Can you please look on the printer display screen for the SETTINGS button (you may have to arrow over/down to look through multiple pages/screens to find that), then under settings look for Network, then Wireless/wifi and tell me if it shows as a connected status there.

Well it says the status in ON The only thing that says off is undert Proxy Settings and then it says Authentication is off

That part is okay, and how it should be.

So this actually isn't a printer issue so much as it is a computer issue at this point.

Please go unplug power to your wifi router for a few minutes, then try to print again.

If no change, I'll next guide you through uninstalling and reinstalling the printer.

Oh my..the computer seems to be working fine

It isn't as difficult as it sounds, I'll be here to guide you through, but try the router first as it may not even be necessary to do the rest.

OK let me get a step stool to reach the router

Okay

Now I can reach it but it had a loose connection on one plug in thing so I pushed it and now the little blue printer light is flashing??
It stopped

That may have been part of the issue as well, it may have been loose or unplugged.

Give it another 5 minutes or so to start up, then try to print and see how it works.

OK and then I will be back to let you know..thanks

You're welcome, and good luck!

Not yet so let me check the other connections to see if they are pushed in tightly...Do the colors mean anything? There is a blue,yellow, gray and black

They do, but it is unlikely they got mixed around if the computer is still working.

It works fine as far as I can tell

Okay and were you able to print, or did you still get the same error message?

I could not print and got the same message

Okay on the computer,

go to the start menu, then to devices & printers (you may have to go to control panel or Settings first),

in the printers folder, click on the printer, then on Remove Device.

Then bookmark/favorite this page to get back with me,

as the next step will be to reboot the computer

and I'll guide you from there

ok I clicked on remove this device
now I guess it is removed?

Did you restart the computer after?

No but I will what if I lose you?
I bookmarked this page but I don't know where the bookmark "bar" is to find you again

You should have a bookmark or favorites menu in your web browser to get you back here

I am closing down the computer...hope to find you when I get back.

Okay

hold on

Okay

when you're back, go here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-7640-e-all-in-one-printer-series/6617267/model/6779508

there you'll see a orange button to download and install the latest software/drivers.

IOh my I hope that I can do it...I will try

Once you click the link, it will download the program, which you'll then run/open, and it will guide you through the prompts on screen, just keep saying yes/ok to move forward.

Nathan I was just about to give up and call a service person but you are the best..it now prints!!! Thank you so much..I was so afraid to uninstall and then I followed your advice and it works!! Thank you so much!
I wonder what was wrong?

Great! Glad to hear that did the trick,

what sometimes happens is that the printer software on the computer gets corrupted and can't connect, so the uninstall/reinstall process is used to establish a new link between them.

Nathan, Installer
Thank you again! I am going up to do the rating! Have a good evening Nathan!

You're welcome. Have a great night!