TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have some colour issues with my samsung tv. Its about 3yrs…

I have some colour...

I have some colour issues with my samsung tv

Technician's Assistant: How old is your Samsung, and have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?

Its about 3yrs old, I don't play it much haven't uplugged it

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Yes when I go to netflix on either the tv or my blu ray player its dark

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It has only been an issue since Saturday, water had come in from the apartment above mine, not a lot but then it wouldn't take much to affect electronics

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?

Nothing else worked perfectly till Saturday

8/21/2017
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician

Hello
Welcome
I am sorry you are having trouble here,I am presently reviewing your question be with you very soon.

Anthony

Please reboot any satellite or cable box you may be using by un-plugging the box from wallpower wait 5 mins then re-plug back in again do the same with the TV at the same time, let everything boot back up (usually 3 to 5 mins) then let me know if anything changes please

Anthony

The apps page where I get netflix is still dark.
Aric, Technician

Hello, This is Aric- a different expert. Is there any chance you can get me the full model number off of the back of the Samsung? Also, is the picture simply dark, or are the colors wrong?

To get the full model number would be difficult,its hard to get at. When I go to the apps page it is dark, I have tried to fiddle with colour and brightness but no help. This only started yesterday

Okay, so it's simply dark- and that is usually caused by a premature fault in the TV's backlight power supply. There are no quick fixes for this beyond unplugging the set for a length of time in the hopes that it resets. Beyond that it requires the power supply inverter board be replaced, and the cost for that varies depending on screen size and model number. So that said, if leaving it unplugged for a length of time does not help, then the set will need to come off of the wall either way for repairs or to access the model.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Model after some work is UN46EH5300FXZC

So are you looking to try to repair this yourself?

it would be cheaper

Okay please hang on.

If you're still having the same problem after leaving it unplugged for a length of time, then unfortunately this indicates the set's power supply output to the screen lighting failed and the board needs to be replaced in most cases. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for just under $70:

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Samsung-UN46EH5300-Power-Supply-BN44-00667A/496229576?goog_pla=1&gpid=76984043941&keyword=&goog_pla=1&pos=1o3&ad_type=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjwierMBRCHARIsAHl9i4Fka7w822TB7Tsz2cEXnynt5bYRyrZf9BtS4LF7UNjlx930z_ehVMQaAhINEALw_wcB

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Did you need further assistance with this?

I don't think so, I'll get my brother to change this part.

Okay. You paid the website a deposit to work with me, but I am not actually paid unless you click a positive rating. Could you do that for me please?

Aric, Technician