TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Lines appeared across screen, starting with one, then two

finally three more. after several...
Lines appeared across screen, starting with one, then two finally three more. after several months, tv went blank. red light on, can hear clicking noise. no video or audio---- crashed.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: samsung 50 inch. model pn508650s1f plasma guess 7-8years
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: nothing works---just clicking
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: started several months ago with the lines. went blank during a storm, although there was no noticeable power surge in the house, the cable went out at the same time and needed to be rebooted by xfinity
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats it
8/21/2017
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hello
My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with this.
A few questions coming up and please note that there may be delays between replies if i have to gather various info ;
Please send me a hello so i know you can see my reply ?

hello, Jack

Hi

From what you described you first had a failing Y buffer board that finally went out and took the Y-sustain board with it , hence what you have now

I don`t know if you had in mind to look into repairing this yourself but if you`ll give me a few minutes , i will get you the details for a "do it yourself " or shop type of repair .

Just saw what you said about that storm and how it went blank

Do you mean that it actually went out to what you have now at that exact moment ?

Hello ?

the tv went blank, and the modem went from clock to "boot". Xfinity rebooted my two modems.

Had not seen what you said about that storm and that changes the diagnostic somewhat , the y-buffer causing the lines stays but now you can add either a power supply circuit or main board at $100 or so a piece

There would be a need to diagnose this with meters to find out which one but then again those lines will still be there

So you may be looking at perhaps $150 in parts if you were to do this yourself

If that is not your cup of tea so to speak then to have this repaired at home could cost you around $250 to $300 parts included and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself .

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the link below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com
This will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.
This list may be limited though and you may find more the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around .

but if i may be frank , considering the age of the tv at 7 to 8 years old and the fact that you can get a new 50" tv with all the bells and whistles for around or less than $400 ,I would think twice before investing that kind of money into this one.

I think your money would be better invested in a new tv .

Let me know if you have questions and if not for now then PLEASE DO TAKE THE TIME TO RATE (stars above and submit), it does not cost you anything more and does not close this post ,
Also you can come back at any time without additional charges if you have further questions or need help and it gets this independent tech. paid for his time helping you .

Any questions on this ?
If not for now then PLEASE DO RATE , it doesn`t cost you anything more and I get paid for my time.

If you cant find the rating system (stars at the top and SUBMIT ) then you can do it verbally here by saying like " I rate " excellent/good service

Remember that you can come back here at any time after rating (no additional charges) if you have other questions related to that

Jack
Jack, Technician

Thank you

Did you get refunded on this one ?

Still shows opened here

Never mind

Jack
Jack
Jack, Technician