TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

It wont turn ilon, its a insignia model number is

it wont turn ilon JA: What's...
it wont turn ilon
JA: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: its a insignia model number is *****
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: the TV menu does not work but when i press the button on the side it shows a lighter black and if i press again it will turn darker
JA: How long has this been an issue with your NS-LCD47HD-09? What happened right before this?
Customer: few years it would have the picture on the TV and after 20 mins it would go out
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I got this tv from a friend who got it from another friend
8/21/2017
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Can you tell me if there are currently any signs of life at all on the TV (power light lit or blinking, click sounds, etc.) please?

Please view my reply and send one back to proceed.

when it plugged in and turned off the light indicator is red and when i turn it on it changes to blue. then when i turn it off it changes to red and blinks 8 times

Okay you lost me here. Your original question says the TV will not turn on, yet you're saying when it turns on the light changes to blue.... Can you please elaborate as I'm not there to see what you're seeing?

it does turn on but i cant see any picture or hear any sound. the picture is just black
i press in the menu button and the picture turns to a light black and if i press the menu in again it will turn back to the darker black

Thanks for the reply. This indicates a failed Mainboard in the set, and generally requires replacement of this board to fix the issue.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

okay so nothing has changed unfortunatly

If you're still having the same problem, then unfortunately this indicates the set's Mainboard has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $73:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INSIGNIA-NS-LCD47HD-09-Main-board-715T2830-2-2-/391837426608?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 46" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?

where is the main board located?

It's the board with all of the AV jacks on the back of the TV. Once the back cover of the set is removed the Mainboard is exposed.

There are also dozens of videos on YouTube that outline how to replace the part. The same procedure applies for all model flat screens.

what does the main board do for my tv?

What does it do for your TV? You lost me on that. Your Mainboard has failed and needs to be replaced, so right now it's not allowing it to display any Video or Audio when you turn the set on.

okay thank you were a really big help!

You're very welcome and best of luck with the set! Also, you paid the website a deposit to work with me, but I am not actually paid unless you click a positive rating. Could you do that for me please?

Aric, Technician
Aric, Technician