TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

CABLE TV QUESTION: What could be causing the picture on our

Cable TV main television (with...
CABLE TV QUESTION: What could be causing the picture on our Cable TV main television (with 3 additional outlets in the home) to FREEZE on a moving image and stay frozen until we change the channel? Is this typically a problem at the Head End or even up the chain to the Network transmission site or possibly satellite send/receive points if satellite is being used? Or might it more likely be a problem with the plant or coax and connectors installed outside our home that are exposed to high heat in the summer? The picture doesn't just freeze when the day is at it's hottest but also in the middle of the night when temperatures are relatively lower (still about 80 degrees). The plant is old and we've had problems with bad connectors and T-junctions that didn't carry signal through. But is a freezing picture usually a problem with the physical coax and connectors / plant right outside the home? Or would it be further up the line to the Head End or even further?
8/20/2017
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hello
My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with this.
A few questions coming up and please note that there may be delays between replies if i have to gather various info ;
Please send me a hello so i know you can see my reply ?

This is a cable box problem , not the signal or the tv but the box itself if changing channels does it

Try to reboot it by pulling its power cord a few minutes but ultimately you may need to have it replaced if this keeps going on .

If that answers your questions for now then PLEASE DO TAKE THE TIME TO RATE (stars above and submit)

Thank you

You did not read my question correctly. The cable box is not changing channels by itself. The picture is FREEZING and won't unfreeze until the person operating the remote changes channel -- NOT the cable box (converter) on it's own.As for rebooting the converter, we WELL KNOW that as the first thing called for when problems arise and that is not the solution here. About 2 years ago, we had problem with freezing pictures -- but only during the highest heat of the day -- and a cable technician came with signal meter and tested every junction and found the defective T-connector on the coax leading into our home. He replaced it and the problem was solved. While that COULD be the problem again with another junction or connecting hardware in the string of coax from cable post to he home, the freezing picture is occurring even in the middle of the nght when local temperatures are at their daily lowest, leading us to theorize that it could be a signal problem further up the line at perhaps the head-end, the uplink or downlink if satellite is used to deliver signal to our local cable operator, or even at the network source. We look to find answers from JustAnswers.com if there exists a cable connection expert who can answer this beyond directed us to do what we have already done many times before (e.g. take 9 minutes time-out to cut power and reboot converter box with long reboot time, even newest model installed this year). So with this additional detail, do you have the knowledge, experience, or certified expertise to tell us if it could be a problem not at our home (requiring time-out to wait for technician to come and repair) or further up the signal delivery line, where-ever that problem might be. What else could cause picture to freeze besides a hardware issue with the coax coming into our home?
Ronald Brock

Hi my name is ***** ***** ill be assisting you today. I was a cable technician for 10 years with Bright house networks, time warner/spectrum and AT&T, just to give you a little background of myself. If you have had a cable tech come out and check to make sure that all signal levels are passing at all of your set top boxes, then one other thing it could be is that there is noise getting into your cable system or there is noise on the plant that is feeding into your house. Another thing that it could be is depending on what type of coax you have running in the house, either RG59 or RG6, can make a difference on how those signals are transmitted. If you have 59 line in your house and it doesnt have the proper fittings on the cable, that could also generate the problem. Do you know what kind of wiring you have in your home for the 3 outlets? Also, do you know if all your cable outlets come together in one location (ie the box outside or in the attic).

We have the main television connected to cable and 3 additional outlets. I'm not sure what kind of coax it is but the original wiring of this home was at least 30 years ago so it's old. We have very high heat here in South Texas so that is a factor given how signal doesn't move as fast with higher temperature. I will ask the Techs over the phone about any "noise" at the head end or up the line. What exactly is "noise"..? Would that be signal interference from another sgnal(s)....?

if you have the original cable in the home and you don't think that it has ever been changed, it is more than likely going to be rg59. If you have a way of taking a faceplate off the wall and taking a picture of the cable that is connected to the back of it, I could confirm that for you.

As for noise, yes, it could be coming from many things. Fluorescent lighting, bad grounding in the house, electronic devices that kick on and off during different times of the day, which again goes back to the electrical wiring. This also goes along with the coax wiring of the house too. If you have the original rg59 line in the house, the shielding on the cable is not up to industry standards as it would be if the house was ran with RG6.

As for heat, it does have some impact on the cable, not so much in inhibiting the signal from flowing properly but changing the length of the cable which a longer cable will diminish the signal or cause an issue.

Ronald Brock
Ronald Brock
Ronald Brock
Ronald Brock