TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

We have a JVC LT-40X887 TV, originally purchased in 2007,

which suddenly no longer remains...
We have a JVC LT-40X887 TV, originally purchased in 2007, which suddenly no longer remains powered on. When we unplug it, wait for a few seconds (or several minutes) and then plug it back in, it comes on for 2 seconds and then shuts down. We cannot use the power button to turn it on again - only unplugging and plugging back in will work. We've tried holding various combinations of buttons while powering up, but this has had no effect. Any guidance or suggestions you could provide would be appreciated.
JA: Is your LT-40X887 connected to a surge protector or power strip?
Customer: Yes, it is.
JA: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?
Customer: Yes, no joy.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing I can think of.
8/19/2017
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician

Hello
Welcome
I am sorry you are having trouble here,I am presently reviewing your question be with you very soon.

Anthony

Sorry for delay

When the set shuts down what is the status of the power-light please in the front of the set?is it blinking?

Anthony

Thanks for taking my question, Anthony. The power light is on and steady (not blinking) for the few seconds before the set shuts down.

And then when the set shuts down does it change color?to red maybe?

No, it just goes off along with the set.

OK I see, in that case it could be either power or main-board issues, first the power-board would need to be examined for bad capacitors if they look OK then its likely you will need to replace the main-board is this something you think you can do yourself?

I will provide all the relevant info for that

Just to clarify this is a plug in board

If you can use a volt\ohm METER that will help too, let me know

Anthony

I have no problem replacing a plug-in board. Unfortunately I do no have a volt/OHM meter, but I've been considering getting one anyway as it is something that would have come in handy from time to time.

Yes they are only cheap about $15_$30 one will be fine its just to make one voltage check of the standby_5vdc in case its disappearing very easy check I will let you know how to do that when you get it, it will just re-affirm what I believe is correct

And yes they come in handy for checking fuses etc

Ok, I'll go out and get one later today and let you know when I have it. Many thanks for your assistance.

Yes get that first then we will make the check and move on

Just come directly back here so bookmark this page please

I may not be able to answer immediately but will when I see your post

will do.

You can get a meter from radio shack or similar outlet

OK Thanks

Ok, got a multimeter and the back panel of the set has been removed. I'm assuming the board on the right is the power board as that is where the power cord is coming from. The set is unplugged at the moment, but is close to an outlet to plug it in if required. This is my first time using a multimeter - I understand the basics of how to use it, but not really sure of which settings to use on the dial for this purpose.

OK this set is not easy to work with (thanks for the photo great help) you need to find plug CN10A and PIN 7 of that plug let me know when you find this

No luck finding CN10A. The closest we've found is CN10F as shown in the center of the attached photo, but it has only 4 pins. There are a few other multi-pin plugs close by that do not have an obvious label. Any ideas?
Found it - it was hiding on a board underneath another piece of housing that needed to be removed.

So you turn the dial to the left from OFF to 20 that side is DC volts black lead you put to metal chassis red lead to pin 7 of cn10A and with the set running from switch ON measure the volts on that pin, does it come up and then disappear OR does it stay up permanent even when the set shuts down?

I am referring to the 5vdc

We get a steady 5.05 even after the set shuts down.

That is very re-assuring that rules out the power-board so you need to swap the main-board, this set is a very early set and has a main-board (that is the one with the inputs attached) and a digital board now problem is very likely to be the main-board get the part-number found on the board itself and try initially shopjimmy.com if they do not have it google the part-number, note these boards are now hard to get hold of

It could be the digital board both are data boards and cant be checked however the way it stands its looking fr more like main-board issues

Please I would be grateful if you could you rate the information or answer positively with the rating bar of stars at the top of the page, rating me positively enables me to receive payment from the site thank you, ***** ***** question is open for 30 days.

Anthony

Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Found a main board available on ShopJimmy and have ordered it, so we'll how it goes once it arrives. Thank you again for your patience and assistance - much appreciated.

Thanks if you need more help please let me know

Anthony

Anthony,Just wanted to provide a quick follow-up to let you know that we received the board from ShopJimmy, installed it and everything is working perfectly now (after taking a little while to figure out how to access the set's service menu for a reset). Thanks again for your assistance.Best regards,
Christopher
That is great news!Anthony
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician